chapter 18

Leylas POV

I was torn.

It felt as though someone used my heart and stretched it like putty, molding it into something unnatural.

I sat there for gods know how long, I watched the few meteors that pierced the polluted skies above me as eventually, light began peeking over the buildings.

My tears stained my cheeks as I slowly stood up. I left the picnic spot and walked towards the grounds, walking past guards who looked at me with a peculiar expression, most likely because of my tear stained eyes, but I didnt care.

I walked through the entrance, turned through the halls, and reaching the dormroom. I put my hand on the handle and hesitated. I dont know if I want to see her this soon.

Well I cant just wait out here forever, eventually I will have to face her. I twist the handle after wiping the tears off with my hand, I stepped into the room and looked at the noise-filled room.

I was pulled to full attention when Cecil asked me "how was your little party?" she asked.

I walked away not answering her, pulling out a chair and staring out the window.

"Leyla?" Linda asked.

"She stood me up." She answered finally. She didnt need to see their faces to know they were giving her sympathetic glances.

"Wait." Cecil realized. "If Ashley didnt go with you, then where is she?"

I turned to her, "shes probably on her shift with the elf."

"No, she left in the night, I woke up hearing her and just thought it was her going to hang out with you, but if she didnt make it to the hill." Emily ended with a long pause.

"We need to tell Trainer Chen of this! She could be in danger!" Callie exclaimed.

I rushed to the door, swung it open and we, excluding Blaine who was just plaine confused at the situation, ran to the training room where we find Chen teaching the younger recruits.

"Trainer Chen! We have urgent news." Lindas voice booms across the echoey training grounds.

His yellow and blue eyes turn to us before instructing the recruits to continue before walking towards us. He reached us, and we pulled him out of earshot from the people around us.

"Ashleys missing." Callie starts.

Chens eyes darken with fear, as he covers it up with confusion.

"what do you mean by went missing?" he harshly questions.

"me and Ashley made plans to meet each other to watch the meteor shower, but she never showed up-""at night? Leyla Miller you should know better than that! We have rules for a reason!" "Im sorry, I really do apologize, but the point is that Ashley left but never reached where I was." I pointed out, it was not my intended purpose to share with the trainer my late night expeditions with Ashley but this is an unfortunate necessity, its for Ashley, I know I will get in trouble, but for her I would die, so 15 or so lashes wont be too bad.

He cursed and his eyes revealed pure panic as he walked away towards the exit as he motioned we stay here. "where are you going?" Emily questions

"Im going to the emperor, we will send out as many guards as we need to bring her back." He demanded, and it made ponder the differences of when any other guard or recruit goes missing verses when Ashley goes missing.

Well I guess he just cant stand his precious perfect doll to be taken away from him.

I balled my fists as I sighed, calming myself down.

I will do whatever it takes to bring Ashley back, and if I have to stick with Ashleys insufferable mentor to do it, I will.

Ashley's POV

Me and ajax were walking in a comfortable silence as we walked through the streets, it took what seemed like forever to reach the end of these grounds.

But unfortunately ending the unbearable silence also meant people, and sometimes I would rather take the unbearable silence that put me to the edge of insanity.

Ajax put his hood up to hide his ears, which I realized I myself hasnt actually seen with his hood, or his hair covering them. I shouldered my bag over my shoulder making it more comfortable as we walked through the streets that had some type of market going on, people were yelling and selling fruits and vegetable, there were breads and eggs and appliances.

My stomach grumbles looking at all of this food and ajax keeps eyeing the oranges. I look in my backpack and reach for a pouch of currency, I look at the watermelons, $12 for a watermelon? Thats a sweet deal, as I walked over to the man selling them. "hello" I greet as we exchange the money and watermelon. I turn to ajax and hold up the watermelon, it a pretty big watermelon for such a small market.

"you dont happen to have a knife do you?" I ask as we continue walking.

"no, but I have my daggers."

"the same daggers you used to cut through a brick wall? The same one you carved drawing in your cell floor? Yeah no, not sanitary."

"youre the one who asked."

I rolled my eyes.

I took my sword from my side and we reached a table, I put the watermelon down and took my sword, raised it above my head and slice. Clean cut right down the middle.

I snatched some spoons from a booth and handed one spoon and half of a watermelon to ajax. "eat up." I simply say.

He looked at me, then the watermelon, then smiled and began to eat as we continued our way through the street.

"is it good?" I ask

"yes. Thank you." He replies.

"your welcome."

A/N 974 words