CHAPTER (二十二)

.

.

.

"Love is not a feeling of happiness, it's a willingness to sacrifice..."

🤍

-Michael Novak

.

.

.

.

.

Wang Yibo woke up at his usual time of five in the morning, his gaze softening as he looked at the peaceful figure of Zhan sleeping beside him. A tender smile graced his lips as he thought about how adorable Zhan looked in his sleep. With gentle movements, Yibo leaned in and placed a light kiss on Zhan's pink and supple lips. He then lovingly tousled Zhan's fluffy hair and planted a kiss on the tip of his nose. "I'll be back soon, my bunny..." he whispered softly before slowly getting up from the bed and making his way out of the room. As he opened the door to leave, he cast one last glance back at Zhan, his heart filled with warmth and affection, before stepping out and closing the door behind him, leaving Zhan to continue his peaceful slumber. Walking into the living room, he motioned for Haikuan, who had been instructed to rise at the early hour of five. Though Liu Haikuan often rose slightly later than Wang Yibo, this morning was an exception.

.

.

.

.

.

"Godfather Wang." Haikuan greeted with a respectful bow. "Meng Ziyi is scheduled to meet with Hao Xuan today, as per her announcement at the Wang headquarters." Wang Yibo, lighting a cigarette, listened intently. "Are you certain we can trust her?" Haikuan voiced his concerns. "I'm afraid she-" "If we don't trust her, who can we trust?" Yibo interjected, his voice firm. "Be vigilant, but maintain a level of trust until proven otherwise." Haikuan absorbed the instruction, nodding in acknowledgment. "I'll ensure everything is arranged for Saintess Meng's meeting with Hao Xuan." With a contemplative exhale of smoke, Yibo contemplated their strategy, knowing that their world thrived on trust, but also the cautiousness that came with it.

>

>

>

/FLASHBACK/

>

>

>

Yu Bin splashed hot water on Meng Ziyi's face, "Ahh!" eliciting a cry of pain from her. With fury burning in her eyes, Ziyi shot daggers at Yu Bin before her gaze shifted to Wang Yibo and Liu Haikuan. "You! What do you think you're doing!" she bellowed, her face flushed with both anger and pain from the scalding water. "I have three questions, Saintess Meng." Yibo spoke in a composed tone, unaffected by her outburst. "Shouldn't I be the one asking questions here? Who the fuck even are you?" Ziyi retorted, her tone laced with venom. Haikuan, visibly irked by her disrespect toward his godfather, moved to retaliate, but Yibo intervened with a raised hand. "You don't need to know who I am. What you need to do is answer my questions." Yibo stated calmly, his proximity to Ziyi sending shivers down her spine. "The first question, What is your purpose in meeting Hao Xuan?" Yibo repeated, his gaze piercing.

.

.

.

.

.

Meng Ziyi chuckled darkly, "And what does it have to do with you, huh?" she retorted defiantly. In response, Yu Bin delivered another splash of hot water to her face, leaving her sputtering in outrage. "You! How dare you! You, you!" Ziyi fumed, rendered speechless by the sudden assault. "Don't think that just because you're the saintess of the demon tribe, we won't take action against you." Haikuan warned, his tone sharp. "Answer!" he demanded, emphasizing his command with another splash of water. With no other choice, Meng Ziyi reluctantly relented. "I need Hao Xuan's help to revive the demon tribe." she admitted begrudgingly. "You're well aware that Hao Xuan is the master of the revival formation. Learning to master it would take centuries, so I sought his aid in reviving our tribe." Meng Ziyi look sideways, sighing with annoyance.