chapter 18 - Their Salvation

Uraume had been living with Sukuna for 3 weeks. When Gojo had asked where Uraume had been staying, Gojo was told that they had only been sleeping on trees when they were on the way to find Sukuna. Gojo was not having that. Uraume moved into Sukuna's home as soon as Gojo finished helping them set up their room.

Uraume was fine with a plain room. They only needed a place to sleep. But Gojo wanted to put some decorations around their room like he did with Sukuna's. Since Gojo knew about Uraume's ice curse techniques, he put tiny winter-themed sculptures on the shelves in their room. Gojo had gotten Uarume a whole new wardrobe of clothes. Gojo also put scrolls and books to fill up the shelves. Many of them were cookbooks, mostly about desserts.

Being trained as a servant their whole life, Uraume could easily pick up on what Gojo wanted. Uraume started preparing snacks and desserts they had learnt from those cookbooks for Gojo. Gojo had given Uraume a large sum of money so they could buy any ingredients and any other necessities they needed. From wagashi and dango (mochi rice dumplings) to senbei (rice crackers) and yokan, Gojo could get to try out new snacks made by Uraume each day. Gojo was very pleased with this.

As for Sukuna, Sukuna had no objections when Gojo decided to let Uraume live with him. It was more convenient to have his servant close to him. Sukuna was so used to living alone. Now Uraume was here to tend to all his needs. Uraume would be near Sukuna in case Sukuna wanted something. But they respected Sukuna's pesona space. They could sense Sukuna's moods and be out of sight when Sukuna wished to be alone. Sukuna could summon Uraume with a snap of his fingers and Uraume would immediately be back to act on whatever order Sukuna had.

Uraume had many sets of skills. Not only would Uraume cook all his meals, Uraume would clean everywhere at home to be spotless. Uraume also helped with yard work. They had grown vegetables and herbs in the backyard for ingredients. Once Uraume knew about Sukuna's and Gojo's weekly training, Uraume would make small nice meals for them to have after training.

Some of Uraume's skills were particularly unique. The first day Uraume began living with Sukuna, Uraume had taken out a frozen meat from their bag and informed Sukuna of their special recipe, asking whether Sukuna would like to try it for dinner. Sukuna had stared at the frozen Grade 1 sorcerer human meat with interest. Sukuna had never thought of eating human meat before. But Sukuna was uncomfortable doing what Gojo clearly wouldn't have approved of. Therefore, as intriguing as that recipe was, Sukuna had declined in the end.

Another one of Uraume's skills was that they could predict the weather of the day by looking at the sky. Uraume would inform Sukuna the day's weather every morning. When the weather was going to be nice and cozy, Sukuna would troll around the forest on the mountain with Uraume following closely behind.

Sometimes Sukuna would put on his kitsune mask and walk around the market down the mountain. Whenever Sukuna found some gifts and desserts at the market he thought Gojo would like, he would tell Uraume to pay for them. He would buy the mochi from Gojo's favorite stall from time to time. Gojo loved this mochi so much. The mochi from this stall only became Gojo's second favorite when they had invented Kikufuku mochi. Sukuna would sneer slightly behind his mask when he heard how customers praised the chef of the stall that his mochi was the best in the world. Those people knew nothing about the best mochi. He would later give the gifts to Gojo during Gojo's daily visits. Sukuna found the way Gojo's face lit up at his gifts endearing.

Now the three of them were at the table in Sukuna's front yard. Uraume was making amezaiku (Japanese candy art) in the shape of a koi while being an 'air-conditioner', cooling the air around them for Sukuna and Gojo on this hot summer day, as Sukuna listened to Gojo.

"...... Then my grandpa said I'm getting too old and should get married soon," Gojo sighed.

Sukuna hummed, "Again? You said he agreed to stop asking you about it a year ago."