Chapter 2

High atop a tower, standing over the city of Susa below, Melchior, chief Magi, stood and peered at the night sky. He did this most nights. Noting the movements of the stars, their positions, and which ones were visible or not. Tonight, something new shone in the sky. A large star, brighter than the rest, with a brilliant line connected to it. A comet, like a spear, in the sky. These were rare. These were important.

Melchior consulted his notes and his memory for what this comet could mean. Unfortunately, he was at a loss. It did not fit with anything. None of the ancient texts he had read over his long life and career could answer his questions.

"Hey, wake up," said Melchior, using his foot to nudge his assistant lying on the stone floor beside him. "Wake up."

The assistant, often asleep during these nighttime observations, slowly roused from sleep. "Uh?" he grunted.

"Do you see that?" said Melchior, pointing at the comet.

It took a minute for the boy to wake up and take in what Melchior was showing him. "What is it?" he said.

"A comet," said Melchior. "Something important is happening. I need to know what."

The assistant blinked. "I don't know...." he started before being cut off by Melchior.

"I know you don't know. But I need you to summon those who might. Go now, and get all the other Magi, wise men, and religious scholars. Everyone."

"Now?" said the assistant, looking down at the city. It was dark. Hardly any lamps or fires could be seen. Everyone Melchior wanted to see right now would be asleep.

Melchior realized this himself finally. Most people observed a different schedule than he did. "Ok, fine," said Melchior. "First thing in the morning, then. I want them all assembled."

Melchior alternated between staring at the sky and going into the tower to consult old manuscripts the rest of the night. This was one of his most significant events, and Melchior was determined to figure out what it meant.

Melchior was still awake when the sun rose, and the stars disappeared. Once the last star, including the comet, had disappeared, he descended the tower. Despite his age and not sleeping, Melchior was energetic and eager to meet with the others to figure out what had happened. As he waited for them to come, he managed to eat some food, but most of the time, he paced around in thought. Even in his advanced age, he felt like a young man with the energy coursing through him.

Eventually, the men began to arrive. A few had also seen the comet and were eager to discuss it. A few dozen of the city's most intelligent and important religious leaders had arrived. As they were all settling in and about to begin, one final attendee came, almost literally being pulled in by Melchior's assistant.

"You can let go of me now," said the man. "I'm here, Aren't I?" This was a man Melchior had seen before but never spoken to. He was a rabbi for the city's Jewish community. They usually kept to themselves, especially in religious matters. Melchior was pleased to see his assistant had been this thorough in getting everyone who could assist in figuring out what the comet meant.

"Thank you all for coming," said Melchior, beginning the meeting. "I'm sure you all know about the comet by now...."

"This is just about a comet?" said the rabbi, looking even more upset than when he walked in.

Melchior took a moment to collect himself after the outburst. "Yes," he said. "Comets are signs of important events. We have to decipher what this one is." Melchior thought explaining this might be a bit patronizing, but he did not know much about Jewish beliefs.

"Fine, have your meeting," said the rabbi, clearly uninterested. "But know that you are pulling me away from my people during a special time for us."

The meeting started, and various others put out their theories about what was happening. Most of these ideas were rejected quickly for one reason or another. This was common. When signs were seen in the heavens, many reasons were proposed, and it took time to figure out which ones were correct.

The rabbi sat quietly in a corner the entire time without participating in the rest of the discussion. This nagged at Melchior's mind. So far, what everyone was proposing needed to be more credible. Melchior's enthusiasm this morning was waning, and his lack of sleep started to get the better of him. Maybe it was time to get the rabbi involved.

"Rabbi," said Melchior, breaking through an ongoing discussion with some of the others. The rabbi looked up at Melchior. "You said this was a special time for your people. Could you share what it is with the rest of us? I know I am unfamiliar with your beliefs myself."

The rabbi looked around for a moment before standing up to speak. "Well," he started. "We are in a series of feasts which we celebrate at this time of the year and have done so ever since God led our people out of Egypt."

"What are these feasts?" said Melchior. "When are they exactly?"

"The first one is the Feast of Trumpets," said the rabbi. "We celebrated it last night...."

A commotion started up with the rest of the men present. This was new knowledge for all of them. Melchior had to raise his hands and shout for silence. This had to be pursued and could only be done with everyone quiet.

"Yesterday?" said Melchior. "The feast was yesterday?"

"Our days begin and end at sundown," said the rabbi. "It started with the last nightfall and continues now." More murmuring from the group, and Melchior had to hold up his hand for quiet.

"What are you celebrating?" said Melchior.

"It is the beginning of our year," said the rabbi. "The beginning of ten days of consecration and repentance, then the Day of Atonement, and the Festival of Booths five days after that."

"I think that's it," said one of the gathered wise men excitedly. Everyone else seemed to have an expression showing similar excitement.

Melchior turned to the rest of the group. "What else do we know about these Jews and their beliefs?" he said. "Is there any reason to pursue this?" This new information was good and could be what they were searching for. However, Melchior needed proof that there was truth to what these Jews believed beyond what he had heard so far.

A historian raised his hand and stepped forward, and Melchior motioned for him to speak. "Our history with the Jews begins when the Babylonians conquered them and brought many to their capital," began the historian. "Many years later, Cyrus the Great conquered Babylon. When he did so, a Jew brought him a scroll of one of their prophets written three hundred years before, which said that a King named Cyrus would conquer Babylon."

All eyes turned to the rabbi to see if he knew about this. "The Prophet Isaiah," said the rabbi. "His writing was given to Cyrus by the Prophet Daniel. We have his writings as well...."

"You have to tell us everything," said Melchior. "We need to know."

At this, the rabbi looked a little exasperated. "This is an important time for me and my people," he said. "I'm not supposed to do any work on these days. I'm already doing more than I should by being here."

Some groans and shouts rang out. "Rabbi," said Melchior. "After these feasts, would you speak with me more then?" The rabbi did not look happy, but he nodded in agreement.