Chapter 7

"Have you been here before?" said Caspar as he rode beside Melchior. They had been on the road for weeks, and rising ahead of them was the city of Babylon, where they were planning an extended rest.

"Once," said Melchior. "Years ago. I don't know the chief Magi here. He is young and new. So I'm told."

"You did not teach him?" said Caspar. "I thought you taught everyone?"

Melchior chuckled. "Not everyone," he said. "Babylon has their own school. A very good one. Very old. My school owes much to them. Their experience goes back to Ur, maybe earlier."

"Very old then," said Caspar. "Do you think they already know?"

"If anyone does, it would be them," said Melchior. "They exiled the Jews to this city centuries ago. Several Jewish prophetic writings were written here."

They entered the city, a procession led by several attendants, then Melchior and Caspar, followed by their baggage train, bodyguards, and other attendants. Their presence was noticed. Soon, officials from the city were all around them, asking who they were and why they were there. When the officials learned they were Magis going to speak with their chief Magi, they were let through and given a guide.

When they approached the school, a large, old, and ornate building, a young man wearing elaborate robes came out of the front to greet them. "My lords," he began with a bow. "My name is Balthazar, Chief Magi of Babylon. Welcome." Melchior and Caspar returned a greeting and introduced themselves. "Melchior, your legend precedes you. I had never expected to meet a Magi as wise and well-known as you, let alone welcome you to my school. And Caspar, you have come so far. It is an honour."

Balthazar led them inside to a spacious and cool room with couches to sit on. They took their seats as attendants brought wine and food: Pomegranates and other fruit, bread and olive oil. Balthazar said they would prepare and bring out meat and a full meal later.

"Now," said Balthazar as they all sat back. "To what do I owe this honour?"

Caspar looked to Melchior, who spoke. "Did you see the comet? It came last autumn, visible for a few weeks."

"Yes, we did," said Balthazar. "I confess we do not know what it means yet. My Magi and I have been working hard at it but have not come to a satisfying answer."

"If I may ask first," said Caspar with curiosity, "What ideas have you had?"

"Well," said Balthazar, stroking his beard. "Several believe war is at hand. The comet did have a spear-like appearance. So, our armies have been training, just in case. Some have a more fruitful belief that the harvest will be plentiful." Then he sat up and looked at Melchior and Caspar. "But I assume you have your own ideas. What do you know?"

"How familiar are you with the Jews and their religion?" said Melchior.

"Bah," said Balthazar, leaning back in his seat and throwing his hands up in annoyance. "I can't stand them. They keep to themselves and good riddance. We conquered them. Brought them here, yet they refused to honour our gods. Then your people, Melchior, conquered us and allowed the Jews to return home. Only for them to be conquered by the Greeks and the Romans. Quite pointless."

"Be that as it may," said Caspar. "Melchior has found that their Messiah and King has been born. Tell him." Caspar motioned for Melchior to speak, but Balthazar spoke first.

"A Messiah is what they need," laughed Balthazar.

Unfazed by Balthazar's words, Melchior told the story about how and what he had discovered about the comet—the connections to the Jewish holy days and scripture. By the end, Balthazar had a different posture and was less hostile.

"Well," said Balthazar. "That is interesting. It makes sense, and I can see why you concluded what you did." He then started rubbing his beard. "So why are you here then? You're not going to Judea, are you?"

"Yes, we are," said Caspar defiantly. "This is an important event, so much so that the heavens decided to show it. Of course, we are going. And so should you."

"Ha," said Balthazar, dismissing Caspar's comments. "I would never go to Judea. There is nothing for me there."

Everyone was silent for a moment before Melchior spoke. "I find it odd that one who is supposedly as wise as you would not go," he said. "I can see why you would disdain the Jews, but the heavens have declared their Messiah, and a future King has been born."

"What are you saying?" said Balthazar. He said it with spit flying out of his mouth as he started to get angry.

"What I'm saying," said Melchior, keeping an even tone which showed no change in response to Balthazar's outburst. "Is that a true student of knowledge and wisdom would understand something important has happened and respond to it. Are you greater than the sky and what the stars tell us?" Melchior looked at Balthazar, indicating this was not a rhetorical question and he wanted a response.

"No," said Balthazar. There was still some anger in his voice. Melchior assumed it was more from accepting Melchior's humbling than anything else."

"Good," said Melchior. "We will stay in Babylon for a few weeks and rest before we continue. All three of us." Balthazar did not look happy, but he relented to the senior Magi.