Chapter 11

The whole caravan left Jerusalem. As they did, Melchior talked to the boy who had joined them. It was an unexpected meeting, but one Melchior felt was full of providence. He asked the boy about the baby and the angels he had seen the night of the king's birth. Melchior was sure he had not seen any angels, neither had Caspar or Balthazar.

After they had travelled a short distance from Jerusalem, one of the servants ran up to Melchior. "I think we are being followed," he said.

"Followed?" said Melchior. "By who?" The servant pointed behind them, and Melchior looked. Walking some distance behind, but very visible, were a pair of men dressed like the guards in Herod's palace. "What are they doing here?"

"I don't think this is good," said Neriah, and Melchior turned to him. "Those men don't leave the city dressed like that unless they are with Herod."

"So this is unusual," said Caspar.

"More problems," said Balthazar. "Somehow, that king knows. He knows we are not returning, so he sends some men to follow us and kill the child immediately."

"So it seems," said Melchior.

"We can't lead them to the child," said Caspar, looking anxious. "We can't come all this way to ruin everything."

"No, we can't," said Melchior. Then, turning to Neriah. "Where is Bethlehem?"

"Over there," said Neriah, pointing to a village a few miles away.

"We could be there and gone before nightfall if we wanted to," said Caspar.

"So could the guards," said Melchior. "This doesn't give us many options." Then, he looked around to assess the situation. "Let's camp somewhere," said Melchior. "I know we have not travelled far, and it's not even midday, but let's find somewhere nearby to spend the night."

"And stay so close to Jerusalem?" said Balthazar. "So close to Herod?"

"I know it is a risk," said Melchior. "But I don't think Herod would lay a hand on us. We are important people, and his quarrel is not with us."

"He may think it is," said Balthazar. "We come from far away. This is Roman territory. Even if Herod killed us, I don't think our countries could avenge us. The Romans would be too happy to go to war and expand their empire."

Balthazar made a good point. Both Caspar and Melchior looked at each other. They knew it was a possibility. Herod was not their friend, and if the things people had told them about him were true, he was someone to be feared. Still, Melchior knew he had a particular responsibility that went beyond any of them. "We will camp away from Bethlehem," he said. "For now. I will not risk this king who was proclaimed in the heavens." Everyone was still uneasy, but the decision was made, and they respected it.

Soon, a place to camp was found, and the servants prepared it. "Are we going to see the baby?" said Neriah to Melchior as they ate supper. "If not, I should probably get back to the others. They are probably really mad at me right now. I shouldn't keep them waiting."

"We will go tonight," said Melchior. "Under cover of darkness."

Several hours later, the three Magi and Neriah left the camp after night fell. Herod's guards, who had been following them, had returned to the city when the camp had been set up. They must have assumed the Magi would go to Bethlehem the following morning.

As Melchior and the others left the camp, the servants would start packing it up and meet up again East of Bethlehem to begin their journey home during the night.

Neriah led the Magi to Bethlehem. "I can lead to where they were when the baby was born," he said. "But I don't know where they are living now."

"I don't think that will be a problem," said Caspar, pointing up into the sky.

"I've never seen that star before," said Melchior in a joyful and joking tone. All the Magi knew was that what Caspar had spotted was no ordinary star. It was brighter and moved as they did.

"Then we were meant to come here," said Melchior. He felt a huge weight lift from his shoulders. Signs like this would not happen if the child were in trouble. Everything was going to be ok."

The four of them followed the star, which shone like a star but moved ahead of them. Soon, they were led to a house. They could tell a fire was burning inside and could hear people talking. They would not be waking anyone up.

Melchior knocked at the door. It was opened by a man similar in age to Balthazar. When the man saw them, his eyes opened wide; he had not been expecting guests, let alone in as fine robes as he saw now. "Hello," said Melchior. "We are Magi, from the East. Is there a child here? We have brought him gifts."

The man's surprise seemed to disappear faster than Melchior would have thought. "Please, come in," he said. "My name is Joseph."

"That's the man," said Neriah in a whisper as they entered the house.

Inside, they found a modest home. In it, a young woman was holding a small child. The Magi bowed down to the child, which the mother treasured. Neriah, seeing the others bow, did so as well. The Magi presented their gifts: Gold for a king, Frankincense used in worship, and Myrrh, a perfume used in burial.

They stayed briefly, wanting to avoid being found by Herod's men. Shortly after presenting their gifts, they left.

"I was not expecting that," said Balthazar, in a strangely good mood.

"I know what you mean," said Caspar. "It was all so humble."

"Yet," said Melchior. "All the signs in the heavens pointed to that child." He looked up, hoping to see the final star which guided them, but it was no longer there. "I am happy that it was like this. If the heavens acted the way they did for one as humble as this boy, then that can only mean good things. He will be a good King. I know it."