Chapter 10

"Get that one back here," yelled Ezra as he spotted a sheep walking away from the herd.

"Got it," said Neriah, running ahead and turning the sheep back with the others. They directed the herd through Jerusalem's streets to the temple for sale as sacrifices. They had to keep them under tight control, or it would be impossible to corral them again.

"Almost there," said Ezra. "Stay sharp, everyone."

As they went down the crowded street, Neriah could see some commotion or disturbance ahead of them. "I think we have a problem," said Neriah, pointing up the road.

"What now?" said Ezra. He looked a little exasperated at the moment.

A few minutes later, the cause of the commotion came into view. It was the three Magi. They and all their attendants were coming down the street. "It's the Magi," said Neriah.

Now, Ezra looked even more exasperated. "Caleb," he yelled. "Get Neriah. Keep him under control."

Neriah shot Ezra a double take. "What am I?" he said. "A sheep?"

"Stay here!" said Ezra in a clear 'do what I say' tone.

As the Magi approached, Neria and the rest of the shepherds had their hands full as they tried to clear the sheep off the street and into a makeshift corral between a few buildings. It was a tight fit, and they had to force and push the sheep to keep them contained.

Most of the people on the street also got out of the way of the Magi. Word had gotten around about them and how upset they had made Herod. Herod would never do anything to hurt foreign dignitaries like this. Still, they knew how cruel he could be. Many were scared to have anything to do with the Magi. So they did all they could to avoid them, lest even being close would bring Herod's wrath.

As they approached, Neriah was able to study them a bit. He noticed the street they were on did not lead to the palace, and they were heading away from the temple. Where could they be going? Looking at them and their servants, a large group, it was clear they were leaving the city. All the animals they had with them were loaded with baggage, including large jars of wine and water. They had only just arrived, and they were already leaving.

Then Neriah noted the street they were on and where it went. This street would eventually go to Bethlehem. The Magi were going to see the baby; they had to be. Neriah may have kept quiet about that for the past year, but since he had heard about the Magi being here, he could not stop thinking about that night.

"I think they are going to Bethlehem," said Neriah. He had not meant to; it slipped out.

"Oh no," said Caleb, already thinking what Neriah was. "Don't go. We need you here. There aren't enough of us as it is."

"I wasn't going to go," said Neriah reflexively. How could he? It wasn't like the Magi would allow some shepherd to go with them. Most people preferred to have little to do with shepherds at the best of times. These Magi were respected people. There was no way they would let a shepherd like Neriah go with them.

Still, as Neriah watched them go past, he felt such a strong connection to the events of that night almost two years ago. Had it really been two years? He had suppressed thinking about it and talking about it recently. Now, with these Magi, who had come so far, here for the same reason as that night, Neriah couldn't contain his thoughts.

"Get back here, Neriah," shouted Ezra as Neria stepped away from the sheep and toward the Magi. He did not know what he was going to do, but he walked out into the street and past everyone until he was standing in the way of the Magi.

The Magi stopped walking and looked down at him. The youngest of the three looked annoyed. The oldest looked at him with curiosity. "Were you the boy who fell before us in the temple?" he said.

"Yes," said Neriah, surprised that he had mustered the ability to speak and that the Magi actually remembered him. Since he could talk, he decided to keep going. "Are you going to see the baby?"

"What do you know about a baby?" said one of the Magi—the one with very dark skin.

"I was there the night he was born," said Neriah. "Angels were singing in the sky above us..."

"I'm sorry," said Ezra, sounding very gracious. "He doesn't know what he is saying." Ezra grabbed Neriah's clothes and tried to pull him away far more violently than his polite tone suggested.

The old Magi held up his hand for Ezra to stop. "We could use a guide," he said. "Would you show us the way?"