Chapter 5

It was summer again in Judea. After a winter spent at home and indoors with the sheep, it was good for Neriah to spend most of his time outside again. Eating, sleeping, and working with his flock under the sky and sun.

For the first time this season, they were near Bethlehem. It was also the first time Neriah had been near Bethlehem since that night last fall when they had seen the angels.

Neriah had learned not to talk about that night anymore. Despite several of the shepherds he was currently with having followed the angels to see the child, none would entertain any discussion of it. Even those who had been as excited by the events stayed quiet and denied it had happened.

Even so, Neriah still remembered, and even though he no longer talked about it openly, he thought about it often. Now, they were so close to where it had happened that Neriah felt he could almost feel the presence of the angels around him. Last night, they had slept in the same spot as that night, and Neriah had trouble sleeping as he stared into the sky, hoping to see the stars move again and the choir of angels descend on them. But nothing happened.

Not that it should happen, but Neriah still hoped.

As he stood watch over the sheep, Neriah would look at the town of Bethlehem, which was only a short walk away. Were the baby and the parents still there? He could see people moving around the buildings but was too far away to see who they were, and Neriah was unsure if he could even recognize them if he saw them again.

Neriah was looking at Bethlehem when Ezra noticed. "You're not still thinking about those angels, right?" He said it loudly and mockingly to let all the others know he had caught Neriah dreaming. A few chuckled.

"So, what?" said Neriah. "I didn't say anything. You brought it up." Ezra's eyes narrowed as the others chuckled at Neriah's comeback. Rather than respond, Ezra walked away, and the issue disappeared.

Now that he had the 'free reign' to look as he pleased, Neriah stared at Bethlehem and thought about that night. Would it be so bad if he left the flock for a bit to go to the town? It would only take a few minutes to get there and explore it. It was small. Assuming the family was still there.

Some of the other Shepherds occasionally went to town to buy food. The rest would watch the flock. It was not unusual. He could do it. But the others would mock him for it. Even if he did buy food along the way.

As he pondered, Neriah walked around where the flock was grazing. This was an everyday activity to prevent predators from coming near the flock. However, there were no predators this time, and all the sheep were accounted for. His walk brought him closer to Bethlehem, though. If he ran, the others might not even realize he was gone.

Neriah did not go to Bethlehem, though. He rationalized that he could go later if he wanted. This arguing in Neriah's head went on for some time. Should he go or not? It continued as night fell.

A few shepherds went into town to buy food, but the fear of being mocked again made Neriah stay with the sheep. There was no guarantee that the family was still there. No angels could be seen, and if there were any in Bethlehem, the news would surely have spread all over Judea by now.

The following day, Ezra decided to move to fresh pasture, which led them away from Bethlehem. As they crested a hill, likely the last one Bethlehem would be visible from, Neriah stopped and looked back. Something died inside of him.

As he turned back to follow everyone else, Caleb came up and put an arm around him. "Thanks for not going," he said.

"What do you mean?" said Neriah.

"Not going to Bethlehem to find the family," said Caleb. "I try to stick up for you with the others when you are not around, but it's hard when you keep talking about what happened."

"They talk about me?" said Neriah. It made sense, although what hurt Neriah then was that Caleb would hurt his own reputation by sticking up for Neriah. It was not just himself Neriah had to be concerned about.

"Not all the time," said Caleb. "But when we were near Bethlehem and you were not around."

"But don't you remember?" said Neriah, looking at Caleb. "You were there too. You saw the angels. We talked about it for weeks afterward." Caleb looked down at the ground. "I can't," he said. "I don't remember. I decided I don't remember."