Chapter 9

"Thank you," Caspar said with a polite, if forced, smile as a servant washed his feet. He got up and joined the others, sitting around some food their host had provided them. "Our host is very hospitable," said Caspar, sitting down.

"At least you are looking at the bright side of this," said Balthazar. "I would like to state right now that I thought this was a bad idea, and I was right. We should not have come." Melchior looked over at Balthazar, then returned his eyes downward.

"You know we could not have ignored the signs," said Caspar. "We did the right thing. We didn't know everything."

"We know now," said Balthazar. "Admittedly, seeing King Herod's face when Melchior told him why we came was funny. He was delighted to welcome dignitaries like us but to see his face grow white when we said we were here to see the newborn King! There is no newborn king. Herod has not had any children in years."

"Thank you," said Melchior, cutting Balthazar off. Balthazar did not seem put off and poured himself some wine their host, a wealthy man who had offered his home, had laid out. Melchior was not eating or drinking but sat by the table thinking and stressed. "I don't understand," Melchior shook his head. "Did we miss something? Did we even see a comet?"

"Of course we saw it," said Caspar. Although he was also stressed, he at least was helping himself to some food. "We all saw the comet. Even Balthazar." Balthazar glared at Caspar but had to nod because he had seen the comet. "Your interpretation is correct. I have studied the Hebrew scriptures and come to the same conclusion. Their King and Messiah has been born. They just have not been born in the palace."

"Where else should a king be born?" said Balthazar. He said it with his mouth full and in a mocking tone.

"Their greatest king was born in a town called Bethlehem," said Caspar. "He was the youngest son of a shepherd. Their greatest prophet, Moses, was born a slave and nearly killed shortly after birth."

"What's that supposed to mean?" said Balthazar.

"It means we may not be looking for a royal baby born in a palace," said Caspar.

"Then where?" said Melchior. Now, he was sounding desperate.

"I don't know," said Caspar.

Nothing was accomplished that night. Balthazar continued saying they should leave until the others told him to be quiet. Melchior was ruminative, trying to figure things out. Caspar tried to console Melchior, hoping that things would turn around. Eventually, they all went to bed.

When Melchior woke the following day, he found that Caspar and Balthazar were already awake. Their moods were different, though. While Caspar had tried to be positive the night before, he was not now. Balthazar seemed sobered up and was quiet, with small movements indicating he was uncomfortable.

"I am scared to ask," said Melchior as he breathed, and the others looked at him as if they expected something. "What did you dream of last night?"

The others looked at each other before Caspar spoke. "We both had the same dream," said Caspar. "We saw Herod killing us and our servants. Then an angel said this would happen to us and others, especially the child if we even talked to him again."

Melchior sat down. "Then you saw it too," he said. "I have never seen something like this. Sometimes, people have very vivid dreams. I have had some. We try to interpret them. Never have I heard of three men having the same dream."

"Neither have we," said Caspar.

"I don't mean it the way I said yesterday," said Balthazar in a respectful tone. "But I think we made a mistake by coming here."

"For once, I might agree," said Caspar. "But this is also a sign. We have come to the right place. We interpreted the comet correctly."

"But we may just have caused it all to be destroyed," said Melchior. "It is one thing to interpret the stars. Another thing to ruin what they tell."

They fell silent for several minutes while they thought about this. Melchior felt responsible for coming here and wished he had not. Was there any way to fix the situation?

One of their host's servants walked into the room. "Hello, Sirs," said the servant. "Someone has come from the palace to speak to you."

The three Magi looked at each other in fear. The servant looked at them awkwardly, not anticipating that reaction. "Should I send them in?" said the servant, scared he was doing something wrong.

"Ok," said Melchior. There was no use hiding. Herod knew where they were. They had to see this through.

The messenger from the palace came in. "Good morning," he said respectfully and cheerfully. He was ignorant of the room's mood, which relieved Melchior and the others. "King Herod has consulted with the priests and rabbis of the city. In their view, the Messiah will be born in Bethlehem. It is a town nearby. We think the child will be there. King Herod asks that you go and find the child. When you have found him, report back because the King would also like to honour them."

"Thank you," said Melchior. "This is useful information. Tell your King we will do as he asks." Melchior's tone was flat for such news and surprised the messenger. Nevertheless, he took his leave.

"What do you mean we will do as he asks?" said Balthazar angrily.

"I lied," said Melchior.

"Are we going to go?" said Caspar. "It could be risky. Maybe a trap?"

"That's what I think," said Balthazar. "This is not good. We should just leave and go home as fast as we can. We'll be safe when we get to Babylon."

"I think we have to see the child," said Melchior. "We came all this way. We have to go."

"What about the dream?" said Caspar.

"It said those bad things would only happen if we talked to Herod again," said Melchior. "We have not done that, and we will not. Once we have found the child, we will leave Judea without going through Jerusalem."