Chapter 8

The noise in the temple area was usually loud, and today was no different. The place was packed with worshipers and merchants. Neriah stood with several others at the front of a small pen of lambs, the best their flock had, hoping to sell them as sacrifices to anyone who needed one. Around them were others also selling lambs and other sacrificial animals. Closer to the entrance were money changers who took in whatever currency someone had and gave them temple coinage to buy sacrifices and make offerings.

"Look at this one," said Neriah, holding up one of their lambs so prospective customers could see it better. "It's perfect. No blemishes. A perfect sacrifice. You could not ask for a better lamb." Most just walked past without looking too closely as they surveyed all the others selling animals.

"Let me see that one," said a man stepping out of the crowd toward Neriah.

Ezra joined Neriah beside him. "This is fine lamb," said Ezra, motioning for Neriah to turn the lamb over so the customer could see all of it. "As you can see, it is perfect. Never had any broken bones. Perfect age. Exactly as the law requires."

The customer looked over the lamb, clearly trying to inspect it without giving away if he was interested or not. "Can I see the feet again?" said the customer, forcing Neriah to turn over the lamb again to provide the view.

"Where are you from?" said Ezra in a friendly and interested tone. He was trying to make friends with the man to secure the sale. "I don't believe I have heard your accent."

"I'm from Susa, in Persia," said the man.

"Persia?" said Neriah, suddenly interested and missing the angry glare from Ezra. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, my master has come here on a pilgrimage," said the man. "He saw a comet in the sky some time ago and believes that a new King of the Jews was born. I'm here buying this lamb so he can follow the local customs and offer his sacrifice."

Neriah's eyes opened wide, and he looked at Ezra. Ezra looked down at Neriah, shook his head and mouthed 'no.' This must have had something to do with the angels. It had been months since Neriah had thought about them. "A comet?" said Neriah, his eyes wide with excitement. "When?"

The man thought. "About two years ago," he said. "I think it was on your Feast of Trumpets."

Neriah's eyes opened even wider. "No, no," said Ezra, stepping between Neriah and the man. Ezra grabbed the lamb out of Neriah's hands. "Go," said Ezra, pointing. "Go with the others. Now!" Ezra's tone was very commanding, so Neriah obeyed without much thought. His mind was racing, so it was hard to think straight and respond.

Ezra continued with his sales attempt as Neriah sat beside Caleb, who had been out of earshot. Caleb asked what all that was about.

Neriah thought about how to answer for a second but decided to say it. "Remember the angels?"

"Oh, no," said Caleb. "Not again. You didn't talk about them to that customer, did you?"

"No," said Neriah. "I didn't bring them up. He knows. Sort of. He's with some Magi from the east. They saw a comet the same night as the angels. They've come here to see the child."

Caleb blinked a few times, trying to take it all in. "You think your angels are connected to this comet?" said Caleb.

"Really?" said Neriah. "That's it? You saw the angels and the child, too. You know they are connected."

Caleb and the rest quickly made it plain that they did not want to talk to Neriah about it, so Neriah, who had learned to keep it to himself, stayed quiet.

A few hours later, Neriah noticed a commotion at the entrance to the temple area. It looked like someone important was coming in. Everyone started noticing, even if they could not see who it was. A few people walked past the area where Neriah was, and he asked them if they knew anything.

The people looked worried, and most kept walking. One man stopped, though. "Haven't you heard?" he said as if it were common knowledge, but Neriah had to shake his head. "There are some Magi from the East. They came because they think a new King has been born." The man was almost laughing as if to shake off his fear. "Herod is livid. You know how he is. This is not a good thing. And now they've come to the Temple." He walked off.

"This is bad," said Caleb, coming up beside Neriah.

"Yeah," said Neriah. Everyone knew how protective of his position King Herod was. He had no issue killing anyone he thought was a threat. Having important foreigners ask about a new King would not put him in a good mood.

"I want to see them," said Neriah.

"Who?" said Caleb. "The Magi? Why? You could get yourself killed."

"I don't care," said Neriah. "I've been hiding what I know. I want to tell them about the angels."

"Stop," said Caleb. "You're crazy." But Neriah was already moving.

It was easier to reach the Magi than he thought. A few other people were gathering around them to look at them. Still, many also tried to avoid being associated with them. When Neriah got near them, they were having a discussion with a priest. It seemed they had wanted to go into the Temple to offer sacrifices, but the priest would not let them because they were not Jewish and had to stay in the Gentile parts of the Temple.

He knew they would likely leave soon, so Neriah tried to position himself so they would pass by him when they did. Eventually, they did go, all three of them. An old man led the way, followed by a younger one and one with very dark skin. They looked so foreign; they must have come a long way.

As they passed, Neriah was pushed by someone behind and fell right into their path. For a second, the old Magi stopped and looked at him. Neriah got up as fast as he could, but before he could say anything, the rest of the crowd pulled him back, and the Magi moved on.