Chapter 4

Melchior had invited the rabbi to dine with him and discuss the comet once the rabbi's holy days were over. However, the rabbi insisted on inviting Melchior to his rather humble home.

"I know you have a very nice place," said the rabbi. "However, I must observe many ceremonial laws, including what kind of food I eat. It would be difficult for you to accommodate me, and I would worry if anything had been missed."

"I understand," said Melchior, entering the home much smaller than his palace. As the chief Magi in Susa, Melchior advised the king and other officials and lived in a luxurious palace. Melchior had brought his assistant along, who was carrying several scrolls. "I found a copy of what I believe are your scriptures in my library and have been reading them," gesturing to his assistant.

The rabbi's eyes widened when he saw them. "I had no idea," he said. "Where did you get these?" The rabbi touched them gently, not wanting to spoil the precious objects.

"I don't know," said Melchior. "One of my predecessors must have collected them. They may go back to the days of Cyrus the Great. I found him mentioned in one of the scrolls from the prophet Isaiah."

"Yes," said the rabbi, still looking at the scrolls as if they were made of gold. "I see you've been busy." The rabbi then invited them to eat. While they ate, they continued their discussion.

"I have been busy, but I feel I am not understanding much," said Melchior. "A sign as significant as the comet would mean something important. Are there any prophecies your people are looking forward to?"

The rabbi sat for a moment. "Well, we are expecting a Messiah," he said.

"A Messiah?" said Melchior. "And what will he do?"

"He will rescue us," said the rabbi. "He will lead us to throwing off our oppressors once and for all. Our entire history as a people is one of being conquered. We were slaves in Egypt for four hundred years. Then, once we had our own country, the Assyrians and the Babylonians conquered us. Now, the Romans. We want our salvation. We want our freedom. We want what God has promised us as his chosen people."

"What's that?" said Melchior.

"We want our country back," said the rabbi. "Free of all our oppressors."

Melchior thought about this for a moment before moving on to another topic. "And you just celebrated the feast of Trumpets," said Melchior. "That is significant, right?"

"It could be," said the rabbi. "It's the beginning of the year for us."

This was all very interesting. "Are there any other signs the Messiah's coming?" said Melchior.

"Many," said the rabbi. "There is a prophecy in Isaiah which you must have read about a virgin having a child. Some think that could be the Messiah."

"A virgin?" said Melchior. He turned to his assistant and held out his hand. "The procession. My notes." The assistant fumbled with the scrolls and handed Melchior the one he wanted. It was Melchior's notes about the sky over the past few months. Melchior opened the scroll and went through the notes. "Here it is," said Melchior with his finger on the paper. "At the time the comet appeared, the sun was in the constellation of the Virgin. Also, the moon was beneath her feet." The Melchior looked up at the rabbi. "Does that mean anything?"

For a few moments, the rabbi sat in thought. Then, the colour of his skin lightened slightly as some blood drained out. "Maybe," he said. "One of the patriarchs, Joseph, had a dream. In it, he saw himself being bowed to by the sun, the moon, and eleven stars."

"What did that dream mean?" said Melchior.

"The Sun represented his father, Jacob, whom God named Israel," said the rabbi. "Our people, when we were still twelve tribes, were called the Israelites. The moon was his mother, and the stars his eleven brothers."

"Did this come to pass?" said Melchior.

"Yes," said the rabbi. "Joseph eventually became one of the most influential people in Egypt. The rest of his family had to come to him for help during a famine. That event led us to be in Egypt in the first place."

Melchior took a breath. "That is something," he said. "So the Sun in the dream, in some way, represents Israel."

"Yes," said the rabbi, putting the pieces together. "The sun being in the Virgin would be symbolic."

Melchior looked through his notes some more. He had been tracking the path of the comet. "The comet will be passing through the virgin soon," he said. "They are related. They must be."

They spoke for several hours, during which Melchior became utterly convinced that the comet was the herald of the Jewish Messiah and that a king had been born in Judea only a few days ago. It was late before Melchior finally left and went back to his palace.

"What are you going to do next?" said Melchior's assistant as they walked home.

"Do about what?" said Melchior.

"Well," said the assistant. "A king has been born. With signs in the heavens. Shouldn't you go to him? It seems proper."

Melchior thought about this for a few steps. "I think you are right," said Melchior. "However, I am an old man, and Judea is far away. I don't think I have the strength to do such a journey. Maybe I will send someone, but I will not go."