Chapter 6

Melchior blinked his eyes a few times, trying to get rid of the sleep which still clung to them from his nap. In his old age, Melchior found an afternoon nap refreshing and vital for his nightly observations of the sky. It was a hot afternoon in Susa. The sky was clear of clouds and would be a perfect night for studying the stars. He sipped some wine and ate the food his assistant had brought when he had woken Melchior.

"A guest has arrived for you," said the assistant behind Melchior.

"Who is it?" said Melchior. He did not turn around but kept his position on the balcony, looking out over the city.

"He said his name is Caspar," said the assistant. "He is from..."

"India," said Melchior, cutting off his assistant and turning around. Quicker than he usually walked, Melchior stepped out of the sun and into the shade of his apartment, where he could make out his guest standing in the doorway. "Come in, come in, my friend."

Across the room, Caspar smiled and stepped forward until they met and embraced. "It is good to see you," said Caspar. "And so healthy."

"What do you mean?" said Melchior in an offended tone, but a smile betrayed his joke.

"You're old," said Caspar with a laugh that Melchior joined in.

"Old, maybe," said Melchior. "But still sharp and wise. Come sit." Then he turned to his assistant. "More food and wine." The assistant left while Caspar and Melchior sat down. "On what occasion have you come? Surely, you did not return to your old teacher just to say hello. I'm told you are critical in India, and many kings rely on your wisdom for guidance."

Caspar smiled. "You are right," he said. "Despite my wisdom and all you taught me, I have something I do not know. I need to ask you about things I saw in the heavens. Surely, you must have seen it, The comet last autumn?"

"I did," said Melchior. "One of the most important signs I have ever seen."

"I agree," said Caspar. "It is important. However, I am still trying to figure out why. What has happened? Or what will happen? Do you know?"

"I know," said Melchior and Caspar leaned forward to hear. The assistant returned with wine and food for them, and Melchior waited, enjoying Caspar's impatience. When he finally did speak, Melchior revealed what he knew. "The comet first appeared on the day Jews celebrate their Feast of Trumpets."

"The Jews?" said Caspar. "I'm not familiar with them. I don't think we have any in India."

"Probably not," said Melchior. "Their homeland is far to the West of here. Many were exiled when the Babylonians conquered them, and some ended up here after we conquered the Babylonians. I doubt many have made it to India."

"But the comet appeared on their feast?" said Caspar.

Melchior then went into the tale of what he found: his interactions with the rabbi, how the positions of the Sun and Moon seemed essential to the events, and various Jewish prophecies telling of a coming Messiah and King.

After Melchior had told Caspar everything, Caspar sat back in thought for a while. "This is amazing," he finally said. "So many signs." Then he leaned toward Melchior. "Have you gone? To see this king?"

"Who? Me?" said Melchior. "Oh, no. I'm too old to travel, especially that far."

"Did you send someone?" said Caspar. "An emissary? I'm sure many other nations have if they figured it out. Have the Jews sent any proclamations or invitations?"

Melchior held up his hands to stop Caspar. "I'm afraid to say no one has been sent. And, we have yet to receive any news about the birth of this king."

"Really?" said Caspar, sitting back. "I don't know which is more unbelievable. That you figured this out and did nothing or that no news has come. I'm sure the Jews would be ecstatic at this information and would have spread it far and wide."

"I did think to go myself at first," said Melchior. "But, like I said, I'm an old man, and Judea is very far. As for why we have had no other word, I don't know. I know that the Romans control Judea at the moment. Perhaps they are suppressing the news."

"Possibly," said Caspar. "But the Melchior who taught me all those years ago would have gone already. I'm sure of it."

"You are right," said Melchior, taking a sip of wine and remembering what he was like when he was younger. "I would have gone."

"Well," said Caspar. "Maybe you should go. One last journey."

Melchior leaned back in his seat and felt the soft cushions beneath his old bones. A journey was a romantic prospect, but he knew it would entail much hardship, even with the number of attendants he would travel with. "Would you go with me?" said Melchior.

"I've already come so far," said Caspar. "What is another journey?"