𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

I never really went out of the house, safe for my short treks to the supermarket nearby. My car is supposed to have gathered dust but the security guard always washes it.

Everytime I spoke to Baba, he always encouraged me to go, even for strolls, with Hashim. He said it's good for my mental health and it will help us bond. I change the topic immediately, it's weird talking about me being romantically involved with his son.

Speaking of which. He traveled to Lagos, I think for work. It's for a week so, I haven't seen him for a few days now and I didn't exactly know how our days worked. He spent a day at khadija's then traveled the next, so he spent only a day in her house before leaving. I was guessing he'll spend her one day and then come to my house or however he wanted, I don't know.

I wanted to call and ask when he'll be back but I didn't want to seem eager, but I also didn't want to fall asleep in a dress that showed my body and with my contacts. I still decided not to call.

As if on cue, my phone rang and when I looked at it, it was his number, I hadn't saved his name, I always forgot and besides I don't have much people on my contact so I know it's his number when he calls. I waited a bit before I picked the call and placed it my ear.

"So if I don't call you, you won't call me?". His voice filled my ear. It sounded deeper.

"You are away for work, so maybe you'll be busy when I call". Ofcourse that's a silly excuse but I still had one atleast.

"Daliah". He called, just the way Baba does. Not the reprimanding or scolding Daliah, the calm and soothing Daliah. Which wasn't supposed to be, because I'm in the wrong. I couldve atleast called, or texted a greeting.

"How are you?". He asked after.

"I'm fine".

"I'm fine too, thanks for asking". He just has to be sarcastic.

"So, when are you coming back?". I asked instead.

"Uh, I already am. I'm coming tomorrow".

"You should have told me you were back already". Now I felt even more bad.

"I did. You didn't reply my message so I called you". Oh.

"We'll talk later then okay?". He said while I contemplated whether to give an apology or not.

"Okay". I hung up after that and dropped my phone beside me and went back to the book I was reading.

I didn't do much that evening, I simply prayed, drank tea, malt, read the book, sat on my balcony later, took some sleeping aids and then I was in bed.

The next day, though. I woke up with a start of headache, ofcourse. I hadn't eaten something reasonable for a week and I hadn't been sleeping well. But it was already late. Close to noon. So I stood up and went to the bathroom. I spent almost an hour, relaxing in the water, then scrubbed off, performed ablution then I went back into my room and prayed.

I made sure to wear a free long sleeved gown, so I don't run into an uncomfortable situation. I arranged my room and then went to the laundry room to do some laundry. I hadn't been in here for sometime, so I decided to arrange it. I knew I would spend the afternoon here.

I arranged the cupboards, baskets and cleaned as the clothes got cleaned in the machine. I left when it was time for asr to pray then I came back after to finish up. The clothes were done washing now. So I dried them and then cleaned again.

I heard the gates open, probably Hashim's car drive in. Then the front door opened, then he came upstairs. He opened some doors, probably my room and his then he called out my name.

He started calling my phone but I left it in my room so I decided to show up then. I dropped the mop and stepped out of the room. The hallway was now lit brightly, he loved the light and I preferred the dark. He was not there, probably in my room.

I stood by my door watching as he picked my phone then he turned to look at me.

"Why isn't my number saved on your phone?". He held it up and I looked at the screen before looking at him.

"I know your number and I don't have much contacts on my phone".

"Well, save it now". He gave me the phone and I walked towards him to take it. I typed and then he told me to show him.

"Muhammad Hashim Ali?". He looked at me amused.

"That's your name right". He took the phone from me.

"Don't change it". He said giving me back. 'sexy H'. 

"Who told you you're sexy". I said and he stared at me then took a step forward. I didn't step back, I stood my ground.

"I think we can both tell that's true". I stared at him and I wanted to laugh at how serious he looked then he smiled.

"Where were you?". He asked.

"I was doing laundry". He nodded.

"How was your trip?". I asked.

"You know work. Have you had lunch?". I stared at him.

"Did you have breakfast?". I kept quiet and he sighed.

"Tell me you have eaten solid food since I left". It sounded like he knows the answer but didn't want it to be true.

"Are you trying to starve yourself to death?". He held my hand and pulled me along with him to the kitchen.

"What do you want to eat". He asked and I somehow felt bad for him. He'll go to work and then come back all tired and still cook for us.

"I'm not hungry". I said.

"You haven't eaten anything but my noodles. I'll make something else". He ignored my statement and started cooking.

"You don't have to".

"I'm not complaining. I like my job. Besides I only get to cook very few times when I'm here". He said the last part quietly.

I felt something. Like I was glad, happy a little that he most likely only cooked for me. What's this feeling. Me being happy, not from Baba's smile but something from Hashim.

After minutes of him cooking and talking my ears off about his Lagos escapades, he plated the food and we ate. I did the dishes and took a bottle of malt from the fridge and made to go out but I didn't make it out. Instead, I ended up being pulled back by Hashim and now I was standing before him, though he was still seated. We were too close and I could see every little detail on his face. Pick up the perfect mixture of two or three perfumes on him. Feel his breathing on my neck because he was looking up at me, but I was tall enough not to be face to face with him in this position.

"I thought we agreed on you not wearing your contacts anymore".

"We did no such thing".

"I think we did. Take it off". Something about his voice was compelling but I didn't fall for it.

I slipped away from him, he wasn't even holding me firmly. I just seemed glued to the spot, entranced by his beauty to not be able to move.

"Fine, okay. I'll not put it on". I successfully made my way out of the kitchen.

We were in early January, the AC was on full blast but somehow as I walked up the stairs, I felt hot all over and fanned my face with my hands.