𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

The next evening, as usual we were both in the kitchen. Hashim behind the stove and me seated on a chair with my phone.

"Don't you get bored?". He asked suddenly.

"With?".

"Staying at home all day. Maybe you should start working". I looked at him. Doesn't your wife stay home all day doing nothing?

"I'll pass". He looked at me with a small smile and I looked back at my phone.

"I'm serious though".

"If you know how hard I have worked in my life, you'll suggest a lifetime vacation for me". He chuckled, probably didn't get what I meant.

"Tell me about it".

"I don't want to". He didn't reply so I looked up to see his brows furrowed as he continued what he was doing.

I shrugged and continued what I was doing, later he finished cooking, plated it and we ate. I did the dishes after and went our separate ways.

Usually, he'll seek me and disturb me but I didn't see him again until he was leaving the next morning and told me to make sure to eat well. Like I would. Even though, I like his cooking. I don't think I can comfortably eat someone else cooking apart from his or halima's but I won't tell him that.

I lazied around as usual, but Hashim had to spoil my mood by calling too say his mother invited us for dinner. I doubt I was invited too but he said they were going to come pick me up.

The last thing I want is to be in the same room with his mother and wife, but I didn't have a choice.

The next day when he called to tell me they were on their way, I told him I had a bad headache and couldn't go but he told me to take meds and it will subside before they arrived. He simply didn't believe, if not I'm sure he'd tell me to rest.

I got dressed in an atampha gown and as I put my things in my bag, making sure to take my anxiety pills, I think I'm going to need them, I heard my phone ring and I picked seeing the name Hashim saved himself as on my phone.

"Are you ready?".

"Yes".

"Okay, we're outside". I hung up and slipped my feet in my shoes and went downstairs.

I locked the door after leaving and walked to the car. I opened the backseat as they were both in front.

"Hello Daliah". Khadija greeted sweetly. I looked at her, then my gaze clashed with Hashim's in the rear view, then I looked away.

"Hi". I replied and then we were driving out.

They were having a conversation on a topic, I obviously knew nothing about, so I started watching videos on tiktok. I was carried away, so I only looked up when the car stopped and Hashim blared the born.

As we drove in, I took in the house. I guess it's something suitable for a divorcee? Hashim parked the car and khadija went down quickly. Hashim next, then me.

Khadija rushed to the door and by the time she reached it, it has been pulled open by a girl. Not his mother. We followed after and when we got in, I could already hear their excited voices inside.

I stood by the door, contemplating whether to go further or turn back now and leave. I had made up my mind and turned around when Hashim pulled me back

"It's this way Daliah". I turned and saw him gesturing for me to continue inside.

He dragged me in with himself. I greeted his mother, she didn't reply. When Hashim announced it to her, she forced a smile and asked how I was but didn't bother to listen to my reply.