𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑒𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡

After a few days, Hashim was able to convince me to talk to my father's wife and daughter. He dropped me off at the café we agreed to meet for breakfast then left for work somewhere. They were there before me and I was on time.

"Good morning". I greeted as I sat opposite them.

"Good morning, how have you been".

"Well". The older woman nodded.

We ordered our food, I went for coffee and cake while they went for pancake and the decorations that came with it.

"Your father used to tell me about you". She said after a while.

"Really? What about".

"He used to tell me how precious you were to him and you had the prettiest eyes". I shook my head and sighed.

"Did he tell you that before or after you got married?".

"After, why do you ask?". The waiter dropped our food and I waited for everything to sort out before speaking.

"He probably said that to earn your trust, did he tell you why we were not together".

"He said it wasn't working out between himself and your mother". I wanted to laugh.

"So he sold us away? Look, I don't even want to talk about all this. In a way I pity you and somehow I'm happy for you". I looked at the daughter who wouldn't be older than batool.

"I pity you because you had to be with him for years, he could have easily done the same with you two. Then... I'm happy that he's going to pass soon, so no matter what, you are safe". She didn't look like she appreciated what I said.

"The years I spent with Ibrahim he was nothing but caring and loving to us". I took a sip of my coffee.

"What's your name?". I asked the teenager that had been quietly listening to our conversation.

"Layla". she said timidly.

"Layla". I repeated.

"I want to believe you are no more than 18?". She nodded.

"Okay, I was six, when he sold my mother and I. I lived my childhood there, I only got to leave when I was 20, my mother.. she died there". They were both quiet.

"So, I am happy you didn't go through what I did". I leaned back in my seat.

"He doesn't have much time left". The mother said.

"Mummy". Layla said not knowing about this information.

"He had always wished to find you and seek forgiveness, though I had never known what he did to you".

"I don't think I have the heart to forgive him. He took away the peace from my life, he doesn't deserve the peace me forgiving him will bring him". We were quiet after that, each to her thoughts. I still ate my breakfast but I don't think they had the appetite to do the same.

"Please try to visit him within the month". The mother said.

I didn't reply, minutes later, I stood up to leave, I paid for our food then stepped out to go into my Uber.

"Adda!". I didn't turn at first until I realised it was Layla. I did and I saw her coming towards me.

"I just wanted to tell you that, I know daddy hurt you but he had been good and I saw him cry sometimes holding your picture and he always said I reminded him of you. He lived his life in regret. What I'm saying is please, forgive him. Allah likes people who forgive others mistakes, so please...". I stood looking at her.