Chapter 5

"Stop," Zyon smacks my arm gently, laughing. I kiss his neck as I tickle him. I grin against his neck and give him one last kiss, pulling away. He smiles up at me with those dimples and my wings flare a little on my back. I sit up and say, "Kali is gonna be over any minute."

Zyon pulls me back down and kisses me. I immediately melt into him. Letting him kiss me into oblivion. My heart could explode as his hand brushes down my chest.

"Y'all can stop anytime now," Kali says as he plops into the chair, "I'm feeling painfully single."

That grabs my attention. I ask, glancing at him, "What happened to Lexi?"

"We weren't dating," Kali shrugs.

Zyon grumbles, "Fucking hooker."

I jab him with my elbow, shooting a glare at him. He mouths, "Sorry."

"So have you not dated since Nyx?" I ask. Kali's eyes shoot to me. The silver and red burning with annoyance and I know it's at the fact that I figured his slight heartbreak out easily.

"No," He answers, his eyes flickering with sadness. I just nod and stand up. Stretching my hands above my head as my wings flare out alongside me. The dark ash color blocking the light in the room as it covers the window. I ride the stretch out and Kali says, "We should get new tattoos soon."

"Let's get some today," Zyon says and I spin, staring at him with shock, feeling Kali doing the same. Zyon asks, "What?"

"You getting tattoos?" Kali says in a shocked voice.

"What's wrong with that?" Zyon asks, pushing his glasses up his nose, "I have a tattoo."

"Yeah," Kali asks, raising his eyebrow in disbelief, "Where?"

Zyon stands and pulls his pajama pants down slightly, exposing a beautifully done peacock feather down his hip. It's done in color the beautiful blue green with the eye of the feather done in light blue and purple. It looks like it's falling down his v-line with such a soft work

"That's gorgeous," I whisper, awe in my voice at how well done it is. It's as well done as the skull and snake on the side of my body.

"Why a peacock feather?" Kali asks as I stare at Zyon's toned muscles, only accented by the tattoo. Zyon lets go of the waistband and adjust so his skin is covered again and I blink to unravel the lust burning in my chest.

"Your dad," Zyon shrugs.

"Not the time for a your dad joke," Kali grumbles.

"He means the Lucifer and Asmodeus stories, don't you?" I say, understanding immediately.

"Yeah," Zyon grins, "It was my favorite stories he'd tell when we were kids."

"I know," Kali grins and says, "You'd always ask him to tell. Practically beg him."

I swallow hard at the memories between Kali and Zyon of their family. I never got any of that. The only memory I have is covered in blood and a missing dad. My mom came back without my dad and slit her own throat right in front of me as if I wasn't there at all. I was four years old. I sat holding her bloody body, crying for three days before someone found me. I don't even remember who found me. I just remember how they had to pry me away from her. The dried blood that covered my legs, arms, and hair holding me to her. I wouldn't let her go. I refused to let her go. I couldn't understand death at the time. I didn't understand she wasn't going to wake up. I remember gentle powerful hands pulling me away and a man's voice rolling over me with words I could understand at that age, "She's gone, kid. She's not coming back."

They repeated it until my tears faded and I was somewhere being bathed by an angelic woman. Her name and her face are lost to the memory of trauma. She took care of me until they gave me to another family and that family kicked me out after less than a month. I was a four year old kid wandering the world after that, finding ways to survive. The only thing I knew then is that my dad always taught me was: to never beg for anything, only earn it, and to never ever give up, so I didn't. It's the lesson that burns through me everyday.