Chapter 4: Barrier of Resolve

year x776(erza's first day at fairy tail)

As Erza finally reached the towering gates of Fairy Tail, her eyes widened with awe at the bustling activity within the guildhall. Mages of all kinds bustled about, their laughter and camaraderie filling the air with warmth. Yet, despite the lively atmosphere, Erza couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at her heart.

Erza (thoughts): This is it... Fairy Tail. But can I really belong here?

Just as Erza hesitated at the threshold, a voice broke through her uncertainty, drawing her attention to a young boy with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Y/N: "Hey there! You must be new. Welcome to Fairy Tail!"

Erza turned to see the boy, barely older than herself, smiling brightly at her. His enthusiasm was infectious, and Erza found herself unable to resist the warmth in his gaze.

Erza: "Thank you. My name is Erza. I'm... I'm here to join the guild."

Y/N: "Erza, huh? That's a pretty name. Well, you're in luck! Fairy Tail is always looking for new members. I'm Y/N Dreyar, by the way."

Despite Y/N's friendly demeanor, Erza couldn't shake the walls she had built around her heart. Her past traumas weighed heavily on her mind, causing her to keep her distance from her new guildmates, including Y/N.

Erza (thoughts): I can't let myself get too close. Not after what happened to Jellal.

Meanwhile, across the guildhall, Cana watched the exchange between Erza and Y/N with a pout, her jealousy bubbling beneath the surface. She had grown fond of Y/N's attention and didn't appreciate the newcomer stealing his focus.

Cana (grumbling): "Who does she think she is, waltzing in here and stealing all of Y/N's attention?"

Despite Cana's sulking, Erza and Y/N found themselves drawn into an unexpected rivalry, their interactions fueled by their competitive spirits. Whether it was in training exercises or friendly sparring matches, the two constantly pushed each other to greater heights, their rivalry driving them to excel in their magical abilities.

As Erza and Y/N's rivalry began to take shape, their interactions often teetered on the edge of tension and amusement. One particular incident cemented their rivalry on rather shaky ground, all because of a simple strawberry cake.

It was a typical afternoon in the Fairy Tail guildhall, the air buzzing with the lively chatter of mages going about their daily routines. Erza had just returned from a mission, her muscles aching from the exertion, when she caught sight of a delectable strawberry cake sitting atop one of the tables. With her stomach growling in hunger, Erza couldn't resist the temptation and reached out to grab a slice.

Just as Erza's hand hovered over the cake, Y/N swooped in out of nowhere, his eyes lighting up at the sight of the dessert. With lightning-fast reflexes, he snatched the slice of cake right out from under Erza's nose, a mischievous grin spreading across his face.

Y/N: "Sorry, Erza! Looks like this slice is mine."

Erza's eyebrows furrowed in annoyance as she watched Y/N take a bite of the cake, her stomach growling in protest. She felt a surge of indignation at being denied her well-deserved treat, her competitive spirit igniting like a flame.

Erza: "That was my slice, Y/N! You can't just take it without asking."

Y/N: "Come on, Erza, it's just a piece of cake. Besides, you should have been quicker if you wanted it."