xviii ; under the tree

"Professor Trelawney just told me-" I said as I rushed into the practically deserted common room to see Harry, Ron and Hermione sitting in the corner, holding a letter.

"This came from Hagrid." Ron said, handing me the letter, his hand trembling with anger.

Execution's set for sunset. Nothing you can do. Don't come down. Don't want you to see it.

Hagrid.

"We've got to go!" I argued. "Hagrid can't be alone."

"Sunset, though." Ron sighed. "We'd never be allowed, especially you and Harry."

"If only we had the cloak." Harry sighed, his face in his hands.

"Harry, how do you open the statue?" Hermione asked. I could practically see the lightbulb above her head as she stood up.

"You tap it and say 'Dissendium." Harry said. "But-"

Before he could finish his sentence, Hermione had already opened the portrait hole and set off down the hall.

Hermione returned fifteen minutes later with the silvery cloak carefully hidden under her robes.

"Hermione, what has gotten into you, lately?" Ron gawked. "First you hit Malfoy, then you walk out on Professor Trelawney..."

A small smile grew on Hermione's face as Ron beamed at her.

-

Walking so close to Harry was definitely not something I ever wanted to be doing, but I suppose having Ron pressed so closely against my other shoulder as we all huddled together under the cloak made things a lot easier to handle. 

As the sun began to set, we reached Hagrid's cabin and knocked on the large wooden door. He quickly answered, his bearded face pale and sickly as he looked around for his visitor.

"Hagrid, it's us." Harry said, and Hagrid jumped a little before moving over to let us in.

"Yeh' shouldn' of come!" Hagrid hissed as we huddled inside and threw the cloak off. "Wan' some tea?"

Hagrid's eyes were red and puffy, and his hands were trembling as he reached for the kettle.

"Where's Buckbeak, Hagrid?" Hermione asked.

"Took him ou'side." Hagrid sniffed as he accidentally spilled some milk. "He's tethered in me pumpkin patch. Though' he'd like some fresh air before..."

He dropped the milk jug and it shattered all over the wooden floor.

"I'll clean it, Hagrid." Hermione offered, quickly scraping up the glass.

"There's anotha' in the cupboard." Hagrid sighed helplessly as he wiped some sweat from his forehead and sat down at the table.

"Isn't there anything we can do?" Harry asked, sitting across from him. "Dumbledore-"

"He's tried." Hagrid shook his head. "He's go' no power over the committee. He told 'em Buckbeak's all righ', but they're scared. Yeh' know what Lucius Malfoy's like." He looked at me briefly.

"I'll stun the executioner. Buy Buckbeak some time to get away or something." I said, and Hagrid's sulking mood quickly changed.

"You are no' goin' to do anythin' illegal." He snapped, pointing a large, trembling finger at me. "Yeh'r to go back to the castle. I told yeh' I don' wan' yeh watchin'. And yeh' shouldn' be down here anyway. If Fudge or Dumbledore sees yeh' down here..."

Suddenly Hermione let out a scream, and she nearly dropped the second milk jug. "Ron! I don't believe it! It's Scabbers!"

"What are you going on about?" Ron asked, instantly standing up from Hagrid's large sofa. Hermione carried the milk jug over to the dining table and tipped it over. Out fell a fat little rat who was missing a toe.