(Bbangsaz) Unexpected Allies | Part 2

Hanni collected the paper that someone passed around, her eyes immediately scanning the contents as she absorbed the information. Minji, seated beside her, leaned in with a curious expression.

"So, what do we do?" Minji asked, her voice filled with genuine curiosity.

Hanni ignored her, her focus solely on the task at hand as she began jotting down notes. Undeterred, Minji persisted.

"Look, I know you probably like to work alone," Minji started, her tone gentle yet determined, "but Mrs. Johnson did say this was a social activity, so... maybe talk to me?"

Hanni sighed, her patience wearing thin. "No thanks," she replied curtly, her tone clipped.

"O-kayy, then just how do you expect we're gonna do this thing?" Minji pressed, her brows furrowing in confusion.

Hanni shut her book with a sharp snap, her frustration bubbling to the surface. "By you sitting back and me doing all the work, seems like you like to do that," she retorted smartly.

Minji raised a brow, taken aback by the sudden hostility. "Okay, ouch," she replied, her tone tinged with hurt. "I'm always happy to help. I don't know what gave you the idea that I'll dump all the work on you."

"Yeah, well, I'd rather do it myself anyways. I doubt you'd be of help," Hanni grumbled, her words laced with skepticism.

Minji's expression softened, hurt flickering in her eyes. "Well, if that's how you feel," she murmured, her voice tinged with disappointment.

As Hanni read the question, a pang of discomfort stirred within her. How does socializing with friends affect the chemicals in our brain and make us feel happier? It was a question she couldn't answer from personal experience. She didn't have any friends to socialize with, and the idea of forming connections with others seemed foreign and daunting to her.

Glancing over at Minji, who was now lost in her own world of music, Hanni felt a twinge of envy. She admired Minji's ease in social situations, her ability to effortlessly connect with others and find joy in companionship. It was a skill Hanni had always struggled to master, her reserved nature and fear of rejection holding her back from forming meaningful relationships. As Hanni focused on the question before her, her attention was momentarily diverted by Minji's voice. "Dopamine," Minji muttered, her eyes scanning the text intently. Intrigued, Hanni glanced up to find Minji absorbed in the study material.

"It triggers the release of neurotransmitters like oxytocin and dopamine, which are associated with feelings of pleasure, bonding, and happiness," Minji explained, her voice carrying a note of confidence.

Hanni nodded in acknowledgment, processing the information. "I see," she murmured, a hint of appreciation in her tone for Minji's insight.

As the realization settled in, Minji shared a tidbit about her father's profession. "My dad's a therapist," she revealed, a casual statement that hung in the air between them.

"Oh," Hanni responded, her interest piqued by the unexpected revelation.

"So, I suppose I can be of help?" Minji added, a cute smile playing on her lips as she looked at Hanni expectantly.

Hanni fought the urge to roll her eyes at Minji's optimism, her initial skepticism rearing its head once more. "Fine," she grumbled begrudgingly, unable to deny the logic in Minji's offer. "I suppose you can."

Minji's eyes lit up with a hopeful smile. "Great, then let's get started," Minji replied eagerly, a spark of determination igniting in her eyes.

Hanni hesitated, her walls still firmly in place despite Minji's offer of assistance. "I guess," she conceded, her tone guarded as she reluctantly opened her notebook to a fresh page.