Chapter 22: Qilin

You were discharge from the hospital however your ankle was still injured and so was your chest along with your back. Vanitas helped you while carrying your crouches and helped you hobbled home.

The bakery was silent.

As you hobbled into the bakery you saw your parents sitting on stools in front of the work area, passed out. Your eyes widened when you realized they had been up late waiting for you. You walked over to your parents and quietly tapped your mother on the shoulder.

"Mom?" Your voice was a whisper.

She lifted her head slowly and her eyes filled with tears as they focused on you. She stood quickly, knocking the stool over behind her and waking up your father in the process. 

"(Y/n)!" She hugged you tightly, saying nothing. Your surprise was audible with the gasp that had escaped you."We were so worried." Her voice was shaky and filled with guilt.

Your arms wrapped around her small form and your face fell against her shoulder. "I'm...sorry."

Your father stepped forward and hugged the two of you tightly. "We're the ones who are sorry (Y/n), for not realizing how much you were hurting." Your father's surprising words brought tears from your eyes. Tom stroked your hair as your mother continued to hold you.

She wished you were small again so she could hold you easily and comfort you like she did when you were just a child. Now before her, she saw her daughter growing into a young woman. The guilt of getting caught up in the bakery and not focusing on her children, was eating at your mother.

"We'll try to be better for you guys baby, I promise." Your mother spoke shakily.

You felt your father's head move up and down in a nod. "I promise too."

Vanitas watched the interaction between the three of you until he was suddenly pulled in a group hug as well. It's funny, he's never had this feeling when his real parents passed.

As you and Vanitas approached your door you were surprised to see it cracked open. Confused, you pushed open the door to see a half awake Marinette sitting up on your bed. It felt as if a pang had hit your chest, seeing her was the last thing you could've hoped for that night.

You would've taken a lecture from your parents over this.

Hell you'd rather be Dark Wing Dragon-Phoenix again than deal with her right now. When she noticed your presence she shot awake immediately.

"(Y/n)!" She sighed in relief and stood, wanting to hug you but deciding against it last minute and your boyfriend was next to you in case he has to fight her.

"What are you doing Marinette?" You asked with an exhausted voice.

The look on her face showed the pain she was feeling and you couldn't help but scoff.

"I was going to out shopping to buy something for you and to check up on you after you got kidnapped. I called Vanitas and Anos to save you since they know there way around Japan and I can't imagine what happened back there. Vanitas didn't give me any details so don't worry, but I've had plenty of time to wander all the possibilities of what happened. What I think doesn't matter, I'm so glad you're home and safe." She sighed in relief and stepped towards you.

Instinctively, you stepped back. "It's late you should head to your room and then you can resume your conversation."

Marinette frowns and nodded before walking past you two and head to her room without saying another word.

It was silent and it was just you and Vanitas before he embraces you quickly before pecking your lips. You could feel him smiling against your lips..

Much to your displeasure, you needed to breathe. You blinked you eyes open, seeing only the deep blue ocean that were his irises.