Untitled Part 12

The next morning, I made omelets again for breakfast. Tan boiled mushroom soup while giving me advice from time to time. Thanks to him, I didn't struggle much. I was able to make it faster than yesterday, and it look pretty good.

After eating the omelet to his heart's content with two types of bread and mushroom soup, Tan went up to the third floor. I took the carriage to the courthouse.

The courthouse was a very old-fashioned place. 

My turn was pushed back several times because I didn't have my tie tied properly. Looking back, it seemed like an excuse. After all, the person who went ahead of me and had their case heard wasn't someone with a neatly tied tie, but someone with a tie pin with expensive jewelry and a cufflinks.

It took a while, but I was able to find the trial records. There was only one trial with Albert Letier's name on it.

He was sued by the Royal Academy for fraud and embezzlement.

As the director said, the first trial date had already passed. The judge ruled that Albert Letier did not attend the trial because he admitted to the charges.

There were still two more trials to go, but the outlook was not good. The second trial was a month away. But I had no evidence that Albert Letier was innocent.

I pressed my temples.When I asked to take copies of the documents, the clerk demanded payment. I was surprised to learn that it cost money to copy public documents, and I stood there with my mouth open. The clerk held out his hand.

"If you don't have money, you can copy them over there. They won't be official, but you'll be able to understand the content."

I ended up paying for the copies.

When I checked the clock on the wall of the courthouse, it was past lunchtime. I went outside and went into the first restaurant I saw. The food was mediocre. Then I took a carriage to the police station.

The police station was still busy. When I stopped a passing officer and told him I was here to check on Albert Letier's remaining records, he pointed to the direction of the document room with his finger and left.

After going through several officers, I finally arrived at the document room. The document room, located in a corner of the police station, had a rather gloomy atmosphere.

Upon checking, Albert Letier had no criminal record. However, there were a few other suspicious records.Professor Letier had once been investigated as a suspect in the Royal Academy corruption case. He was also once a victim of assault, passed out drunk on the street three times, and came to the police station twice for disorderly conduct while protesting the Royal Academy's lawsuit. These incidents all happened between last year and this year.

There was also a record of me going to the police station to report a kidnapping, claiming that I had lost my memory. This was not done by Albert Letier, but by me. The officer at the time seemed suspicious, but he seemed to have taken the case properly.

"Are there any restrictions on viewing these documents?"

The clerk who helped me find the documents related to Albert Letier replied.

"It's possible if your identity is confirmed."

"Can I also check what documents I have viewed before?"

"If you requested specific documents like today, they will be on file. If you looked for them yourself, the date, time, and name will be left, but I don't know what documents you looked for."

"Your management is lax."

The clerk laughed.

"Only a very limited number of people can enter the document room and view the records directly. Don't worry, only officers, police station staff, or investigators or inspectors appointed by Her Majesty can do so."