Untitled Part 4

I exchanged a few more words with the coachman as we headed into town. The conversation started with the coachman's wages, then moved on to the coachman's guild, and soon to other guilds. Then the topic of the mercenary guild came up. The coachman said that there was a pretty good restaurant near the mercenary guild. So I decided to go there.

The restaurant was so noisy that it felt like my ears would fall off. As I was standing there, rubbing my ears, a worker with an eye patch came out and guided me to an empty seat. Then he threw the menu at me.

I glanced at the menu, but it was hard to decide. When I told the waiter that I wanted to eat something warm and delicious with meat, he recommended the beef stew with white bread. I nodded my head.

Soon a large pot was delivered to the table. I was surprised to learn that it was the stew bowl.

When I opened the lid, steam billowed out. When I stirred the thick, reddish brown broth, I saw large pieces of meat and potatoes. When I put it in my mouth, the meat crumbled softly and the juices came out. It was delicious.

I almost emptied the pot in an hour. I was amazed. I thought of Bianca, who had been teasing me, saying, "Joshua, you may be sick because you eat too little." I laughed it off at the time. It was only now that I realized that Bianca might have been right.

"You look like you can read and write. Are you here to make a request?"

The waiter who came to clear the dishes asked. It was a different person, not the one with the eye patch. He had a large scar on his face and neck, and he was missing two fingers. Despite his menacing appearance, his demeanor was calm.

I shook my head.

"I'm here to eat."

"You're a strange one."

"This place is worth the time it takes to get here. The stew is delicious."

The cost of lunch was one fairy tale, but I gave him one more. When the cashier asked what the money was for, I replied that it was a thank-you for the delicious food.

The waiter opened his mouth wide and turned his body around.

"Jack! Hey, Jack! Come out here! Hurry!"

"What the hell is it?"

A man immediately jumped out of the kitchen. He walked over, his face contorted.

"Are you so excited that you've lost your dick along with your fingers?"

"Stop swearing! This customer just paid for lunch with two fairy tales! He said the food was delicious!"

"What?"

Jack put his hands on his hips and turned around.

I got up and offered him my hand. I told him that the beef stew was really good and that I appreciated it. Jack smiled broadly and shook my hand firmly. His movements were rough.

"Next time, I'll give you a free beer. Come again."

I remembered the time I had a glass of grape wine and ended up sick for days, so I politely declined.

"I appreciate the thought."

"Why, don't you like beer?"

"I can't drink alcohol. And I have to pay for what I get. Don't worry, I'll come back again next time."

"You're a very polite guy."

"Thank you. Would it be possible to buy some food to go? If you don't mind, I'd like to ask for food that tastes good even when it's cold."