Untitled Part 29

I dozed off the entire carriage ride.

When I woke up, I was leaning my head on Tan's shoulder, arms crossed.

Even though I had woken up, my eyes wouldn't open well, so I rubbed my eyes hard with my hands. I was definitely sleep-deprived. I paid the carriage fare, determined to go straight up to the 3rd floor and throw myself on the bed.

But my determination was not to be.

First of all, there was a suspicious figure in front of the door. It was the errand boy sent by the shoemaker.

Tan checked to make sure nothing was missing from the supplies and groceries. The errand boy, , giving an annoyed expression, had to stand guard over them because the front door was locked but he didn't dare say anything. I gave him the errand fee and sent him away.

After that, I carried the groceries to the kitchen with Tan. The sight of food made my stomach growl. So we decided to eat first.

Tan mixed sausage and ham with chopped tomatoes, onions, and potatoes, and fried them all together. He sprinkle it with cheese and put it in the oven that had been preheated.

I sliced some fruit next to him. Then I mixed the vegetables and eggs that Tan had chopped and poured them into a pan.

I forgot to grease the pan, so the eggs stuck. I was going to make an omelet, but it turned out to be a half-burnt scrambled egg.

Fortunately, I didn't ruin the fruit salad. I took out the bread and butter, jam, and cream, and it looked good.

Tan took a bite of the finished gratin and burned his tongue. He seemed really hungry.

I was in no position to talk.

"Professor, you look like you're going to sleep with your face in the gratin."

Due to appetite, I had to momentarily postpone my desire to sleep. However, the drowsiness did not disappear. I had to fight to stay awake.

I had just half-emptied my gratin when the bell rang at the front door.

"Who is it?"

"I don't know."

"Is it a delivery man?"

"We brought the clothes ourselves."

I put down the fork I was using to cracking the egg. A slightly burnt taste lingered in my mouth. Tan asked.

"Should I go out?"

"No. It's probably a guest looking for Professor Letier, so I'd better go out."

"It could be dangerous."

"I don't think a stranger would ring the doorbell."

I shook my drowsy head and got up from my seat. Tan threw me the cane that had been leaning against the table.

"Scream if you see something suspicious."

"If I can scream."

The short distance from the kitchen to the front door was too much for me to bear, and I started to cry again. I was a little annoyed.

Tugging at my hair, I grabbed the door handle and suddenly thought it wasn't wise to open the door right away.

"Who is it?"

"Albert!"

It was a voice holding its breath. I thought for three seconds about who Albert could be, and then I realized that it was my name.

Tan called me Professor, and at the academy I was mostly called Professor Letier, and on paper I was recorded as Albert Letier, and even I muttered Albert Letier to myself, so it was very strange to be called just 'Albert'.