Untitled Part 10

It was a meal that was too late to be called lunch.

Tan said that most restaurants close for a while and give the chef a break during these in-between times. I followed him to Jack's restaurant, which is where the mercenaries usually go, since they work without breaks.

An employee named Paul pretended to know us.

"Two coins? You're here again?"

It seemed like a nickname he gave me yesterday after I paid two coins for a one-coin meal. Come to think of it, I didn't introduce myself yesterday. I held out my hand to him.

"I'm Albert Letier. Thank you for the advice yesterday."

The other person stopped for a moment and shook my hand.

"Don't mention it. My name is Paul Ham."

"Mr. Ham, this is Tan Quartz..."

"Professor, what are you doing?"

Tan sat down and clicked his tongue.

"Don't even think about messing with me, Paul. Pay for my night."

"Do you two know each other?"

"Regulars."

I retired because my hand became like this, but he's still active."

Tan and Mr. Ham spoke at the same time. I nodded.

"So you used to work as a detective, Mr. Ham."

Mr. Ham laughed and asked Tan:

"Are you going around pretending to be a detective, kiddo?"

"Just earning some pocket money for a while."

"Ah, I see. Looks like you've been sweet-talking Mr. Red Bear into giving you some extra work. He's quite something to still hire active mercenaries. The industry's gone murky."

"Shut up servant, take my order."

"Yeah sure, sure." 

Ham threw the menu onto the table. Without even looking at the menu, Tan said,

"Two meat dishes." 

Ham shrugged and disappeared. As he went into the kitchen, Tan tapped the table impatiently and spoke.

"Professor, have you been here before?"

"Yes, I had lunch here yesterday."

"Was it also Mr. Paul who introduced you to Red Bear Detective Agency?"

"Yeah."

"Be careful."

"About what?"

"Mr. Paul doesn't do anything for free. You might end up getting caught if you mess up."

"Caught?"

"Like getting caught in bed."

I involuntarily looked around. I thought it was quite a vulgar expression, but no one seemed to care. Tan also had an indifferent expression.

After all, this level of swearing was common even among the nobles. It was just a matter of phrasing it a little more carefully.

"It seems like sodomy is also in fashion here."

Just then, Mr. Ham came over with three large plates. The roast chicken with crispy skin was steaming. There was also a salad with fresh vegetables and fruits. Just looking at it made my mouth water.

But Tan crumpled his face and threw the salad plate back at Mr. Ham like he was throwing it away.

"I didn't order grass. Don't dump this garbage on me."