Untitled Part 16

By the time I visited the fabric store, the goldsmith, and the cobbler, it was almost evening. When I got home, I realized that I hadn't bought any chicken. I was already so hungry that I didn't have the energy to go out again.

Tan decided to make a simple meal and went to the kitchen. He put thickly sliced ham in a frying pan, chopped lettuce, and sliced cucumbers, carrots, and tomatoes. He spread butter and cheese on one side of the thinly sliced bread, then added the cooked ham and sliced vegetables, and topped it with another slice of bread. The finished product looked like a small mountain.

Just as he was wondering how to eat this, Tan picked up the bread with his bare hands and took a big bite. When our eyes met, Tan told me that's how it's supposed to be eaten.

I followed him and put down my fork and knife, then wiped my hands. I carefully picked up the sandwich and took a bite. It tasted good, but it was hard to eat. Vegetables and pieces of ham kept falling to the floor throughout the meal. As I thought about how a small rabbit or dog under the table would enjoy eating them, I found myself finished with the meal.

I washed my hands, which were covered in breadcrumbs, butter, and lettuce, and went upstairs. As I was going up the stairs, I remembered that I hadn't looked at the documents I had picked up from the courthouse and police station yesterday.

I went into the third study on the second floor. The sentence written at the top of the courthouse document caught my eye.

[It's not 6.]

Only after reading through the entire document did I remember why I had written this sentence. There were six rumors collected by the Royal Academy. However, there were only four reasons mentioned by the courthouse as grounds for suspicion of corruption.

I took out the paper that summarized the rumors and marked which items were missing.

1. Professor Albert Letier arranged for illegitimate admissions. / Nonsense ★★★

2. Professor Albert Letier gave private tutoring to an outsider.

3. Professor Albert Letier received a bribe from a parent.

4. Professor Albert Letier manipulated students' grades.

5. Professor Albert Letier  smuggled academy property out of the academy.

6. Professor Albert Letier put his hands on a married woman (r*ped her?) / Marie

Courthouse, Police Department

To investigate the content of the trial and the charges against Albert Letier, and to find records of past crimes.

The courthouse documents were missing items 5 and 6.

Albert Letier had been to the police station twice for public disturbance charges. This means that the Royal Academy had no intention of letting this matter go quietly. Therefore, there is no reason to downplay the charges against Professor Letier.

"I was thinking about the two items that were missing."

If he had smuggled Royal Academy property out of the country, he would be guilty of embezzlement. In some ways, this was a more serious issue than giving private lessons to outsiders or receiving gifts from parents. However, this charge was not included in the trial. Why is that?

The reason why the rumors of him touching a married woman were not brought to trial became clear at once.

Although it was an immoral act, the Royal Academy was not directly harmed. However, it was possible that he could have been tried for damaging the reputation of the Royal Academy by forgetting his position as a professor and acting immorally.

I wrote "Not brought to trial" on items 5 and 6 of the paper where I had summarized the rumors, and drew a star next to each one. This increased the number of questionable items to three.

After that, I wrote down the facts that I found out from the police station, and the paper was filled up.

I read through it again and summarized what I needed to do next.

I needed to go to the Royal Academy.

In order to determine whether Albert Letier was guilty of corruption and embezzlement, I needed to know the school rules.

I needed to find out the names of the students who were in the class at the time, and I also needed to let the students who answered my questions honestly know the results of the survey.

If I'm lucky, I might also be able to find out some other things I'm curious about, such as Albert Letier's personal relationships.

I put the documents and threatening notes that I had collected from the courthouse and the police station into a drawer in my desk. I put the newly organized papers in my bag along with the survey results I had received from the children last time. That was all I needed to go to the Academy.

I looked around the study again and went up to the third floor.