32

Jin Guangyao has long since made permanent residence at the Burial Mounds. Wei Wuxian found it ironic as he used to live there and now Meng Yao is doing the same. It seems Meng Yao is not at all that clever in making up certain plans. He has been planning something for a while now though, and soon, a move has to be made.

The thing about the mounds is that it is very close to Baoshan's portal to her home. So Wuxian and Wangji could easily plan an ambush if they played their cards right. They even had Lan Xichen and Chifeng Zun up to speed on the matter and said they were ready when Wangji and Wuxian were.

Wangji and Wuxian had just finished their training on the elements. They learned well and invented new techniques with those elements which marks them as skilled elemental fighters. The elements were at their mercy and will help them. Wangji was most comfortable with water and air while Wuxian was more comfortable with fire and earth.

Though they both can use all four, they thought they'd stick to what they were comfortable with, and it works out well for them during spars and training sessions. They learn to combine their strengths and cover their weaknesses. Being married and bonded also gives them an advantage too. They could feel each other's strengths and emotions. They could read each other like an open book and no words had to be spoken between them to understand one another.

Since Wangji and Wuxian were ready, Baoshan and Cangse were going to be ready to step in when they were needed. They wanted Wangji, Wuxian, Chifeng Zun, and Lan Xichen to handle the situation first and if it gets to be too much, then they will step in. Lan Qiren will also be with them. There has yet to be any word from Sect Leader Jiang Wanyin on whether he wants to help or not. His pride and ego are both getting the best of him in this matter that he may miss the chance to get proper closure.

Though they had plans set, they had yet to decide when to take action. Lan Xichen, Wei Wuxian and Wangji have been spending some time in one of several of Baoshan's libraries to see if they can find a way to get more of an insight on what Meng Yao was doing.

"We could get a spy," Xichen suggests.

"Who would go in there knowing that Meng Yao could easily guess their true intentions?" Wuxian asked, "if we wanted to go in to have a look around, I could..."

"Wei Ying?" Wangji questioned as he caught the look on Wuxian's face. He had a thought but he was unsure if the others would approve, "tell us what you are thinking?"

"Remember back during lectures when I made that Paperman that crawled on your arm?" Wuxian asked.

"Yes, you put your consciousness into it, right?" Wangji asked.

"I could try to expand and use either a bird or even a corpse. It's risky even just using paper. The mounds is tricky terrain as well as the weather is always unpredictable. A thin sheet of paper will not hold out much but if I could use something else but guarantee my safety I could get a good look around," Wuxian said.

"Baoshan might have an idea on how you can expand on that charm," Xichen said, "isn't if whatever your conscious goes into it could cause damage to you if it is also damaged that you used the charm on?"

"Yes, that's why it can be dangerous but it can be useful for getting us information on what exactly Jin Guangyao is doing in the mounds. He is so close to us and he doesn't even know it," Wuxian explained.

"I say we speak with Baoshan, I am willing to try this as long as we can guarantee you coming back safely," Wangji said.

Wuxian smiled, "I know, it is why we are talking about it. We did promise to be more open about these things, did we not?"

Lan Wangji sighed and couldn't help but smile back at him, "we did," he said.

Lan Xichen was very happy to see how much Wangji has grown since living with Baoshan. He still sticks to the principles he grew up with but he is now becoming a more open person, even if it is to only one person. Wangji was never a person to talk with anyone. Lan Xichen spent years trying to help break that, but it never seemed to work. He saw the first changes happen when he first met Wei Wuxian.