VIII. Just tell me

Nadia walked off the campus, too busy sifting through her book bag to notice Elijah standing just a few steps away by his car. He made his way to her, but she, unfortunately, was still not paying attention, making her bump into him.

"Oh, my gosh. I'm so sorry," she immediately apologized, leaning down to pick up her fallen book bag.

But, Elijah beat her to it first and handed it to her. He smiled when she finally looked up at him. "It's alright, sweetheart".

She looked up at him in surprise, but nevertheless returned the smile, taking her bag back with a thank you. "What are you doing here?" She asked before he gave her a kiss.

"Very nice to see you as well, Ms Ohaz," he teased, casually throwing his arm over shoulder while they walked alongside each other to her car. "What a warm welcome. I'm really feeling the love".

"It's nice to see you too, obviously. Just a bit of a surprise is all".

"Yeah," he waved her off, "I knew what you meant. And, by the way, is that— " he paused, doing a once-over on her outfit. "Is that my sweater?"

"Oh yeah," she gazed down at it. "I've been meaning to ask if i could borrow it," Nadia added sheepishly.

"Too late now," he chuckled. "Keep it. It looks way better on you, although I'm pretty sure you would have kept it anyway".

"I won't confirm or deny that". Nadia waved at one of her classmates that passed by. "How do you even know what school i go to?"

Elijah answered almost immediately. "You told me".

"I don't remember ever bringing it up, though". They stopped beside her car.

"Well, then how else could I possibly know?"

"I know, it's just odd how I don't really remember— " Nadia trailed off, searching through her book bag for her car key. Elijah caught a glimpse of it in the side pocket and pointed at it. "Thank you".

"No problem," he shivered at an especially cool breeze passing by. The cold air nipped at his increasingly red cheeks. Hugging his arms close to his chest, he cursed himself for only wearing a long sleeve. "There's this nice diner I passed on my way here, I was wondering if you'd like to come with".

Smiling sadly, she shook her head. "As much as I'd love to hang out with you, i have to head to work". Nadia pulled out her phone to check the time, grimacing, "like right now".

"You go to work right after class?"

"Only on Tuesdays and Thursdays," she replied, getting in her car and shutting the door. "The other days, i only have one or two classes in the morning and that'll be it".

"How long is your shift today?"

"I end at six".

He nodded. "Can i spend the night?"

"Possibly, if you bring dinner. And, i promise, right when I'm off work you can come over. Sound good?" She asked, putting on her seat belt.

Nadia bit back a laugh when he pouted, but reluctantly nodded. Leaning forward to give him one last kiss, she started up her car.

"See you then".

He returned the sentiment with a simple head nod as he watched her pull out the lot.

Before he knew it, Nadia had driven off, leaving him behind in the student parking lot. Letting out a sigh, Elijah walked back to his car, shoving his shaking hands into his trouser pocket.

He hurriedly got back in, waiting for his jittering hands to still before he left as well.

_________________✍