Ree and Goe

"So, he left you the first memories... I see", said Goe with his voice distorted a bit by the speed we were going with, his head now resting on another shoulder of mine

"And what 'bout you?"

"Ah? Sorry, can't hear ya!" pretended he to not hear what I'd just said

"I said, what about you? You mentioned somethin' 'bout the bomb gang..."

"That's the long story and I—look! It's the town I was talking 'bout!"

I stopped the bike near the border and let him get off first. He seemed to hesitate at first to come in—and I grabbed his hand and already was standing with one foot of mine in the town when he turned away and seemed to tremble...

"Hey, what's wrong?" asked I preoccupiedly and stepped out to him, holding both of his hands now

That made him at least turn around to me and he seemed to be dragged back to the reality with my having taken his hands: he looked astounded and taken aback, unable to utter a word; I kept my eyes on him, smiling with an awkward, but reassuring smile—and he seemed to be as if sobbing, smiling a bit, too—and then just pulled me belly-to-belly to him and let go of my hands—only to wrap me again with his arms, his earlobe rubbing against the peak of mine, his still being taller, much taller than me...

"I may be your savior, whispered he, but I may also be your burier if you keep on with me..."He took a deep breath here as if he was crying and said, "The bomb gang will come after me again..."

"Why...?" only could I whisper back, being slowly strangled in his arms again

"Because..." at this, he unwrapped his arms and weakened our hug so that I could see his face again and whispered, "I betrayed them..."

"You were a member—?" could I only utter as he put an index finger on my lips and sighed, "Sorry... Even if you probably can't forgive me..." He now turned his ashamed face aside and went on, "And I understand if you don't wanna see me anymore... I'm scarlet-lettered after all"

"So", put I his index finger aside, "you're afraid they'll recognize you and start chasing you again?"

"Not just that..." took he a deep breath and whispered, "they'll start bombing..."

I was surprised there finally was an answer to the question I never hopped to get and looked again worryingly at him; and we just stared at each other for a minute or so, not knowing what to say now: me out of rudeness; him out of shame... Until I broke that ice and said, "You think I'll chase away my savior, Goe?"

I took a step forward—he stepped back and I continued, "You saved my life, Goe; maybe, you don't think it's worthy of so much as to forgive you—but it's worthy enough for me to admire and appreciate you: as the only creature in here who's treating me just right; not as a worker, not as a toy in their hands—but as me; you're the only one who I'm able to understand and communicate with; and if you're so afraid of getting someone into trouble—I can try creating a disguise for you, too; even if... I'll surely miss your handsome face"

He smiled at my last phrase and whispered, "It's average... Nothing special... But thanks: that means a lot to me"

"I can make you even more—"
"Stop it!" pushed he me with his elbow, his face red either out of anger or blush... Both oddly suiting him equally fine: just fine...

"Hey, stop being so easily offended: I was trying to be nice, okay?"

"So you mean... You didn't mean it?" bent he his head as if not comprehending my intentions