21.

"Only for the food and because my friends are going to be there. " She responded.

"Thank you." He said softly.

"Great, Jace, we'll have a red suit ready for you before the party starts." Zade got up, leading the others outside behind him.

Jace stood up from the floor but halted before walking out.

"Oh, and your dress is missing something." He said.

"What?"

"I want you to have this." He pulled out a small box from his pocket and opened it. It had a small heart-shaped golden necklace inside with a few diamonds on the outer rim.

"It's beautiful." She paused, "But I can't accept it."

"Why not? Do you not like it? Is it not something you'd wear?"

"No, it's lovely. And it is something I would wear, but I just can't accept it. Besides, I wouldn't be able to wear it anywhere."

"You can wear it here. "

"Yeah, but what about school and I already have a necklace."

"We'll deal with the school issue so you can wear it there." A voice came from behind them.

"Father." Jace gave his father the nod of acknowledgment.

"Mr. Damon." She greeted.

"Jason, Donella, or is it Mika now?" He greeted them both.

"It's Mika now." He nodded.

"It's good to see you again." He pulled his youngest son into a hug, which he reciprocated.

"Happy Birthday." He patted his back.

"My boys almost a man." He proclaimed as they let go.

"Happy birthday, Mika." He extended his hand, which she took.

"Thank you."

"You should accept it. It really brings out your eyes." He motioned to the necklace.

"Everything brings out my eyes." He chuckled at her remark.

"It looks good on you. But most importantly, he got it for your birthday present. It's a gift." He pointed out.

"I already have a necklace I wear that was a birthday present." She pulled her hair to the side, showing off a beautiful gold locket.

"Judging by the fact you won't take it off, I'm guessing it has some sentimental value." Mr. Damon said, and she nodded.

"I'll just get you a ring instead." Jace said understandingly.

"I have multiple rings. Don't bother." She shook her head and headed towards the mirror admiring her dress. A fitted red silk long sleeved dress that showed very little if any cleavage. That clung to her body like a glove to a hand.

"The necklace is yours it's a symbol of my promise I made to you last night. It's like a promise ring only in the form of a necklace. A promise necklace if you will." He stepped closer so only she could hear him.

"You can do with it whatever you please wear it, put it on your nightstand, put it in your jewelry box, and forget about it as long as you accept it. I'll take that as a sign that you're allowing me to ensure I keep my promise to you, and I will. At any cost." He assured her, giving her the reassurance that she was looking for.

He placed the necklace on her nightstand and left.

~~~~~~~~~

The party had just started a few minutes ago. And she had just finished getting ready.