Malcolm's last Swindle

TW-SELF HARM

TW-SELF HARM

The first time Vanity ever fell in love was at fifteen years old, a boy at her school had asked her out and she really thought he liked her until he didn't turn up, then the next day on her way to school she saw the same boy kissing another girl. She wasn't heartbroken or upset she just felt embarrassed and used that she'd been stupid enough to be lead on by a guy like him. So instead of going to school in the angry state she was in she decided to turn straight around and go to the corner shop where here brother worked. Not David, instead she wanted to go to Harry and tell him what happened. He'd make her feel better and with any luck he'd bash the lads head in. 

So as she wiped the pathetic tears away from her cheeks and burst through the door of the shop, the bell rang as she slammed the door behind her. "Harry!" She shouted, out from the back of the shop not Harry but another boy, sixteen years old with black shabby hair, sort of like one of the Beatles, his eyes were a beautiful green and eyelashes which were lovely and long. He had such a kind, boyish face which looked soft and sweet, his voice was adorned with a Birmingham accent which added to his charm.

"Oh Hello Vanity" he smiled however it was quickly wiped off when he saw how sad she looked. "Are you alright?" He asked "Where's Harry?" Vanity ignored his question. "Oh he's just popped out to make a delivery to Mrs Winder down the road, shouldn't be too long- do you need to talk to someone?" He asked with concern, he cared about Vanity a lot and for her he'd listen to her complain about any problem she needed to get off of her chest. 

"Just stupid boys. no offence." She said, crossing her arms and looking at the floor. "why don't i make you a cup of tea? you can tell me all about it." he offered and Vanity nodded before following him behind the counter. 

After half an hour Vanity had poured her heart out to Lennie, he hung onto every word she said, feeling angry at the guy who had made her sad like that. He lent forwards, holding both of his hands as he consoled his friend. 

"You know he wasn't worth your time." Lennie said with a soft smile "I know, that just proves he's wasted it. Stupid me thinking someone actually wanted to try with me" Vanity scoffed, still feeling quite embarrassed about what had happened. "anyone would be lucky to have you, you know. i mean-" He stuttered before continuing "You know if someone told me i had a chance with you i wouldn't believe them." He bashfully narrowed his eyes to the floor. 

"Well you're one of the few that isn't a self indulgent tosser." Vanity said. Lennie fiddled with his fingers before replying "Well most of them don't want someone different like you. they all look for the same thing in a girl." He spoke with an air of nervousness. "And what about you?" She asked, Lennie looked up at her "What?" He asked, almost pretending he hadn't heard her. 

"What do you want in a girl?" She clarified with a curious gaze "Someone funny, not afraid to be herself, caring...someone different i guess" He admitted. Vanity looked at him admirably, she had known Lennie for around three years, and being a fifteen year old sometimes she overlooked just how much he cared about her. "I mean that bloke who stood you up must be blind if he can't see what's in front of him, i mean i always thought you had beautiful eyes- and- and if he wasn't drawn in by them, then he must have a screw loose of something." Lennie stumbled over his words, which was unusual because normally he was a very confident boy and always had great luck with girls, but something was different about the way he felt about Vanity.