9

David

Footsteps made me look up to see Hunter walking towards me, handing me a cup of coffee. I silently took it from him before continuing to stare at the floor. His hand landed onto my shoulder before saying, "He should almost be done with surgery."

That made the cup start to shake when my hands shook from the memory of seeing Bailey. His body was covered in road rash and bruises, his arm bent in an unnatural way. It reminded me of the first day I found him, how he was covered in blood and bruises. The doctors had said it was a miracle he didn't break anything when he fell, and now I wasn't sure how he broke his arm. I was still driving around when Hunter called me and told me to come back immediately. I wasted no time running in, hearing Bailey's frantic cries before I saw him. That sound will always haunt me.

"He's going to be okay David."

My hands continued to shake as I stared at the floor. "Seeing Bailey like that made me think of Matt and how he looked after his accident." My eyes tightly shut as Hunter gently squeezed my shoulder. "And I was so afraid that I was going to lose Bailey too, I couldn't stand it. I can't stand the thought of losing someone else."

"Matt was extremely lucky to have you in his life, and Bailey is too. You saved both of their lives in different ways, and you know Matt would have wanted you to be this happy now. But Bailey is here, he's okay. He's going to be able to leave this hospital. I know you literally saved Bailey's life, but he saved yours too. And I'm so excited for you to actually start living again."

That made me slowly open my eyes and look over at him. "Thank you."

He gave my shoulder another squeeze before asking, "What do you need right now?"

"Just your company."

Hunter nodded while we continued to wait until a doctor came out. I immediately stood up as he came over to us. "You're the officers who brought Bailey Cooper in?"

"Yes, how is he?"

"He just got out of surgery, and it went very well. He did have a broken right arm so he's going to be in a cast for a while. We also treated the road rash on his body and face."

"Thank you for taking care of him. When can I see him?"

"I'll have a nurse come get you once he's settled in. He'll be a little groggy from the anesthesia."

With that he gave us a smile before leaving, my body immediately giving Hunter's a hug. I then sat back down in the chair, my leg bouncing while waiting to be able to see him. It took almost an hour before a nurse came and got me, leading me to a somewhat dim room. Bailey was asleep on the bed, IVs sticking out of his arm. The road rash was still there but didn't look as intense as before.

I leaned over to push the curls out of his eyes before placing a gentle kiss onto his forehead. I then sat down in the chair next to his bed, holding his hand in mine before kissing the skin. A cast covered his right arm, still making me wonder what happened. And how did he get that road rash? I hated knowing he must've been in pain and was so scared.

After a little while longer his body was suddenly moving, his eyes slowly opening before looking over. "Hey," I said while sitting on the side of the bed.

"David?" He whispered before looking around the room. "What happened?"

"You broke your arm," I said as he looked down. "You got out of surgery a little bit ago."

He slowly nodded before saying, "Right, from the fall."

"You fell?"

"Out of the van," he said while angling his head so he was looking at me. "David, Tom was the one who pushed me."