Chapter one

The crack of a belt against his back for the fifth time as Harry Potter writhed in pain, struggling hard not to cry for it would only be worse if he did. "That will teach you to talk back." Spoke a male voice. "I have an important dinner tonight with my company's new owner and I will not have you causing trouble or so help you, boy...You will wish you had died with your parents. Am I clear?"

"Y-Yes, Uncle Vernon," Harry replied.

The only thing Harry had done this time was not dust during his cleaning overhaul. Petunia had ordered it given there were guests tonight. A dinner party with the people who had taken over Vernon's company. Harry ended up thrown against the wall, then forced to take off his shirt as Vernon whipped him with the belt.

The man slammed the door shut to his room under the stairs, locking it from the outside. Harry curled into himself after pulling his shirt back on, hissing in pain when the fabric touched his whipped back. Harry hated living with his aunt and uncle, but knew he would never get away either. Harry had begged his headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, every year when Hogwarts let out if he could remain there, or even with his good friend, Ronald Weasley, or his godfather, Sirius Black. Dumbledore always said no because of the Blood Wards that kept him safe from anyone who wanted to hurt him, like Voldemort. To Harry, that didn't matter because Voldemort was officially back and definitely would be trying to kill him when he returned to school next month. Harry Potter had just completed his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but like years before; it wasn't a good ending. Fellow classmate, Cedric Diggory, had been killed by Peter Pettigrew when they were port-keyed to a graveyard in Little Hangleton during the last task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Harry could do nothing and had to watch Cedric be killed by the killing curse and then Voldemort was revived and they battled, but Harry got away.

Harry had been abused by his relatives for years, but Vernon always did the worst of it. Harry was basically their slave, having to cook and clean for hours at a time. If he did anything wrong, or too slowly; he would be beat until he couldn't move. Vernon would use the belt, but he would hit too. Petunia was known for slapping Harry around and Dudley was just a bully, shoving Harry all the time. Harry hated it, and with everything going on, much like Vernon's words; Harry did wish he was dead. Harry was sick of everything, and angry too. Harry hated that Dumbledore kept sending him back to this house. What was the point of the blood wards when he was being hurt inside the house? There wasn't a point. Dumbledore was just the one with all the control over him and Harry, sadly, felt there was no way out. No way to be free. Harry laid on his cot and sighed quietly; it was about 2:30 pm now. Dinner would be at 6:00 pm; Harry would be stuck in the cupboard all night; there was little chance of him getting dinner was zero. Harry was starving, and in a lot of pain too. Harry tried to close his eyes and sleep; this is where he'd be all night and there was no point staying awake longer.

. . .

Hours later and it was probably 5:45 pm. Harry had managed to fall asleep, but now he was awakened by hunger. Harry groaned figuring that given the time; he wasn't getting dinner until maybe later on when the guests left. The latch on the door clicked as it then opened up to reveal Petunia to Harry.

"Go use the bathroom, quickly. Your uncle isn't going to let you out after his new boss arrives," Petunia told him. "Then you will stay in your room, touching nothing until the dinner is over and the guests have left. You may read the books up there, to keep you quiet. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Aunt Petunia," Harry nodded, not fussing at all because he knew if he didn't go now; he would have to later on. Harry left the cupboard and hurried upstairs to get into the bathroom, then onto the smaller bedroom in the hall that housed his cousin's toys. It was Harry's bedroom, technically, but when he got in trouble with his uncle; Harry usually got forced into the cupboard as punishment. So in this room only had a thin mattress on the floor, no pillow and only a thin blanket to cover with. Harry's belongings for school were in the closet. Harry owned very little, but was glad his aunt and uncle never demanded he put his pictures away. It wasn't much, but it beat the cupboard for sure. Harry went inside to find no places to sit, so he just found a spot on the floor after getting a couple books to read.