008. to the castillo household

chapter eightto the castillo household

chapter eight
to the castillo household

Florence began to look around the empty house, her shoulders slumping in defeat

Florence began to look around the empty house, her shoulders slumping in defeat. She couldn't quite believe that Julia would simply move the stuff out of the house without any of them knowing. A feeling of guilt settled within her, if she hadn't suggested and practically forced everyone to leave then Julia wouldn't have been able to do this.

It was like Susannah never existed, and the thought alone made Florence want to collapse into tears.

Jeremiah rushed down the stairs, "Everything's gone."

A door suddenly slammed shut, the group moving to see Julia walking in the back door. Conrad was the first person to approach her.

"What the fuck, Julia?" He asked angrily.

"I'm sorry." Julia responded. "This must be a shock. I-I spoke to your father this afternoon, and-and he and I decided that it would be best not to drag this out any longer than necessary."

"I don't give a shit what the two of you decided on. You had no right to touch anything in this house. Those were her things." Conrad spoke, his anger rising with every word.

Steven rushed forward, placing a hand on the boy's arm. "Breathe, man. Okay?"

Conrad put his hand on Steven's shoulder, restricting his movements. "Stop."

"Everything's in storage." Julia told them. "I made sure that everyone was very careful with every single thing. I'm just doing what I have to do to sell this house."

"Bullshit." Conrad commented. "You could have said something. You could have warned us. All you want to do is fight our mum, constantly."

"Okay, enough." Julia finally snapped. "You're not the only one that's hurting here. And I'm not the one you should be angry with. Your mother could have warned you that this was gonna happen. She just wanted to make me the bad guy, as usual."

"Can she play anything other than the victim in any situation?" Sydney wondered sarcastically, causing Florence to elbow her in the ribs.

"I'm so sorry that she was too busy dying to make your life a little easier." Conrad told Julia. "You know, it sucks that our grandfather loved her more than you, but I'm not surprised."