第十四

From: prespark@parkinc.net
To: parkseong@parkinc.net
Subject: Surgery Details

As soon as Seonghwa saw the email in his inbox, sent to the address set up by his father's company, his mood soured completely.

Here it was: the information about the surgery that would change his life forever should he decide to go through with it.

Not only would he have a chance at walking again, but he would also become his father's heir and gain his support and love once more.

What could go wrong?

A lot, apparently.

The surgery was extremely experimental, having only been performed successfully on fifty-three patients.

The others either had little to no change in their state of paralysis or they had died due to surgical complications or pre-existing conditions.

The procedure itself was incredibly invasive and even though Seonghwa didn't understand medical jargon, he winced every time he read the words "spinal intervention" or "nerve reallocation."

It was enough to worry him, even though he often dreamed of such a procedure.

Was it really worth the risk?

What if he still couldn't walk and his father shunned him as planned?

What if he had complications and lost the progress he had made?

What if he died?

Seonghwa slams his laptop shut.

There was a time in his life when he wanted nothing more.

But fate is a funny bitch; he supposes karma is too.

Rolling out of his studio, Seonghwa pauses when he finds Hongjoong in the living room, on a Skype call with Wooyoung.

The nurse is curled up on the couch in his bright red scrubs with a pair of gold circular glasses perched on his nose.

His hair is pulled back only in the front into a small ponytail on top of his head.

Wooyoung is on the screen wearing a breezy white shirt and board shorts.

To see the two of them conversing so freely is an unusual sight; Seonghwa hadn't realized they were that close.

"Park Seonghwa!" comes Wooyoung's voice from the computer speakers as soon as he spots the elder lurking in the background.

"Why didn't you tell me you have a date tonight?"

With a groan, Seonghwa comes over to the couch so his best friend can yell at him properly.

"I was going to mention it."

"When? When it was over?" Wooyoung scoffs before pouting rather cutely.

"You know I love to dress you up nice and pretty! What were you going to do without me?"

Hongjoong is watching the exchange from his place on the couch with amused eyes.