第十七

Seonghwa isn't talking much and it worries Hongjoong.

The nurse knows he overstepped a boundary earlier in the evening at dinner, but he couldn't stop himself.

Hearing his patient degrade himself and reduce his existence down to nothing more than an object really bothered him so he had to say something.

Thinking about the strange man in the apartment foyer, mocking Seonghwa, asking if he's good for fucking, had made Hongjoong's blood boil in his veins until he could no longer stand by and do nothing.

Because Seonghwa is—

Frustrating, complex, and angry, but so very soft, traumatized, and in need of love.

He's closed himself off to almost everyone except Wooyoung and even then, Hongjoong can tell that Seonghwa struggles with letting his best friend in.

He understands; he really does.

For Seonghwa, appearing weak emotionally makes him realize just how weak he is physically, so he tries to remain impassive and cold just to keep his head above water.

But he's getting tired, Hongjoong can tell, and the sight of the man slumped over in his chair sobbing had really driven that point home.

At first, the nurse intended to scold Seonghwa for being so careless and not listening to him, for insisting on the date even when the emotional and physical risks were so high.

But he's tried anger, disappointment, and frustration and it's gotten them nowhere.

So he's decided on a different approach.

He wants to comfort Seonghwa, but now he's confused.

Is what he's doing considered friendly support or something else?

Why can't he stop running his gaze over Seonghwa's outfit, the way his dress shirt clings to his toned upper body or his slacks concealing the soft legs underneath?

Why does he like the way the elder eats primly or the way he sips his wine, savoring every taste?

Why does the word beautiful pop into his head when he thinks of this man?

"Hongjoong."

Seonghwa's voice draws him out of his thoughts and the nurse stops in front of a small playground where a young boy is climbing on the play equipment while his father watches on.

The child is pulling himself up and over the colorful, curling bars, athletic and lithe.

It takes Hongjoong a few moments to realize that Seonghwa is watching the scene with rapt fascination.

"Appa!" the little boy shrieks when his father starts chasing him, giggling with laughter.

"Come here! I'm going to get you!"

"No, Appa, no!"

More laughter.

The wind blows.