Chapter 8- I Found a "Boat!"

*Matt's POV*
Mark shakes me out of my sleep. I sit up alarmed, since something bad could have happened. I mean, we're in a hurricanes aftermath. Anything could happen.

"There's a log!" Mark whispers as I register what he's talking about. "You think we could use it as a boat? The water's been rising, and I have a feeling it'll cover the roof."

"So we're carving out the inside to make it hollow?" I sleepily ask. "Just kidding, I know what you mean."

We wash our faces with the flood water, which was a very stupid decision. Now our faces itch and burn from who knows what chemicals and such are in the water. We stare at the log. It's slowly coming, bit we're not sure if it's coming to us or beside us.

"I'm gonna jump in and push the log your way. I want you to catch it. I'm not sure if it'll hit the side or take a direct hit to the front." Mark tells me.

"What if I fall in?" I ask. I'm living up to the stereotyped expectations again.

"You probably won't, I just know it. Even if you did, I'd be on my way over automatically." He explains.

He swims to the log and pushes it a little too hard. It crashes into the side of the roof and I launch forward by the sudden movement. Now I'm dangling from the roof, but it's not as scary as I expected it to be. Maybe it's because of high the water is.

"Sorry Matt! I'm coming!" He yells.

"I'm fine!" I yell as I push myself back onto the roof. "Hurry up incase the rain causes another fast current!"

By the time he gets back, the roof is starting to go underwater. We hop on the log since it's the only thing staying afloat.

"Seriously? The roof is underwater?" He complains. "Anyone on a roof won't know if they'll be completely underwater next!"

We noticw two medium-sized branches on the tree. It takes a great effort to pull them off. We use them as paddles, and it takes a while to learn how to steer the "boat".

"I'm hungry." Mark says, like he couldn't already yell by his attitude from earlier. " I could go for one of Chad's cheeseburgers right now."

"Me too, but maybe we both should turn that thought into motivation. We'll get to land much faster." I suggest, but my tone comes out a bit rude. I wasn't meaning it to, but he rolls his eyes anyways.

"That was rude." He says.

"I didn't mean for it to. It was just advice-" I try to explain but he interrupts me.

"Advice? Dude! You just now pulled yourself together instead of being scared of everything like you were earlier!" He insults.

"At least I wasn't having pity parties this whole trip!" I retort. "YOU planned it, got us in danger, and now YOU want to cause problems. Weren't you scared too? Weren't you crying also?"

"I didn't mean to put us in danger. I thought it'd be a good idea, and then we could just leave safely." Mark said softly.

"Well next time, rethink your so-called 'good ideas' Mark." I demand.

"Well next time," He mocks. "Don't come on our storm chases then when you're so scared of everything."

"Shut up Mark. We're both hungry, we get it." I say in a bored tone. I'm tired of arguing, and we haven't even been moving the "boat".

"No because-" Mark starts.

"I'm serious. Shut up." I interject.

We start steering the boat again. I hope we find land soon. He's getting on my nerves.