Chapter 23: Akane's New Path

Eren listened as Akane poured her heart out to her mother and the police officer. She was screaming and crying from the admission at trying to end her own life and it was easy to hear from right outside the office.

Ai rushed over when she heard, as well as Kana, Ruby, Aqua, and of course Reiner and Armin were there as well. Everyone was quiet as they heard the poor girl cry from her near suicide, each displaying a range of emotions.

Eren was vaguely aware that Kana and Akane had a rivalry with each other, but he could tell it wasn't based on hatred. Sure, neither girl liked each other, but Eren could tell that Kana would never wish for Akane to get pushed so far.

Ai looked sad and Eren could tell she felt a sort of similarity to Akane's situation. After all, when her career was ruined, Ai retreated into herself and refused to even care about her own health.

"What the hell is the point of doing these dumb entertainment things if this is the result?" Eren asked angrily.

"It's just difficult sometimes-" Ai tried to say.

"Difficult?" Eren asked. "So some people said bad things about her on the internet. That's no damned excuse to kill yourself." Eren said angrily.

"It's different for her Eren." Ai said. "She's not like you."

"Clearly." Eren crossed his arms. "To waste her life over something so stupid."

"This is a different world Eren." Armin said. "They never had to experience what we did. Especially since they're kids by this world's standards."

"Still no justification." Eren said.

Akane walked out of the room with her okaasan, wrapped in a blanket for warmth that also helped to dry her. Akane's okaasan walked up to Armin and bowed respectfully to him.

"Thank you so much for saving my daughter." She said.

"Oh, uh... of course." Armin nodded sheepishly, not used to getting gratitude like this. "She's my friend, so I had to."

"Can you please watch her a moment, I need to go sign her out." She asked.

"Don't worry, we will." Ai said.

As Akane's okaasan walked away to go sign her daughter out, Akane sat on the bench in the hall near Ai. Akane knew a little bit about Ai, though she was very young during Ai's controversy so didn't know much.

"Believe me, I know better than most how you feel." Ai said as she wrapped her arm around her.

"I know." Akane nodded.

"It's hard, when all your fans turn on you, or the number of people who hate you increase. Believe me, I experienced that all." She said.

"I didn't even realize what was going on." Akane said sadly. "I just... I tried so hard to be a good actress... but no one liked me. I just don't understand..."

"You think maybe you're not pretty enough, right?" Ai asked.

"Yes." Akane nodded.

"I felt the same way." Ai said.

"You did?" Akane looked at Ai in surprise.

"Is that so surprising?" Ai giggled.

"Yes!" Akane said loudly. "I mean... back then and even now, you look amazing."

"Well, I appreciate that." Ai blushed. "But trust me, it's hard to appreciate how beautiful you are when you look in a mirror. The only one who thinks you're not pretty is you Akane."

Akane looked down sadly and brought the blanket closer around herself. It was hard to think that she was pretty after everything that happened with social media.