Chapter 27: Aftermath of the Attack

Eren's gaze shifted from Ruby's unconscious form as the police began to park outside of the area. His breathing became ragged, hyperventilating as he saw his daughter unconscious and weak from the experience. The adrenalin in the fight replaced with a sense of rage and anger.

His thoughts turned to Aqua. While not really a son to him, but a member of the family all the same. His smoking and broken body reminding him of what he had to do in order to stop his rampage.

Then his thoughts went to his two missing children. Kawachi and Mikasa were somewhere without his protection. Either alone and terrified, or captured and in his enemy's hands. The anger Eren felt was almost palpable, an anger he hadn't felt in so very long.

"Eren?" Ai asked as she watched Eren bring his hand up to his mouth.

Eren bit the meaty part of his hand, willing himself to transform so he could tear this city apart and get his two youngest children back. Eren swore that he would find them no matter how many people he had to kill.

"No..." Eren said in realization.

"Eren!" Ai yelled out as he bit his hand.

"No... no, no, no not now damn it!" Eren bit again, hoping that he'll be able to push past his exhaustion and transform.

"Eren, stop!" Armin tried to say.

Eren bit his hand again and again, trying to force himself into a fourth transformation. Unlike normally, the wound on his hand wasn't even steaming, showing that he was completely out of energy.

The girls and Ai grimaced at the self-mutilation. While they knew of his powers and that it could heal, it was still a macabre and grotesque sight as bone and tendons were exposed as Eren ripped the flesh off of his hand.

"Darin... stop..." Ai said, holding back her tears as she gently grabbed Eren's mangled hand and pushed it away from his mouth.

She looked up at his face. Eren's mouth was covered in his own blood as he desperately tried to cause a transformation. His eyebrows went up in a way that showed shock, horror, and sadness as his eyes reflected the pain of a father who worried for his children.

"Please darin, please just calm down." Ai said gently.

Ai felt the same as her husband, her maternal instincts making her terrified for the safety of her two youngest children. Aqua and Ruby, while hurt and unconscious, were at least safe and protected by them. But Mikasa and Kawachi were all alone.

Ai reached up and cupped Eren's face with both of her hands. Eren closed his eyes as his wife comforted him, tears threatening to spill out. She's never seen Eren so broken up before in her life. Every emotion of fear and rage were at the surface, threatening to consume him.

Ai was just as terrified, but she knew that if she didn't remain strong, Eren would lose himself.

"I need them here." Eren said.

"I know darin, it's ok. You'll find them, I know you will." She said.

"Don't worry Eren, we can look for them as humans." Armin said off to the side.

"I'll tear this damned city apart if I have to." Eren said, his sad eyes going angry for a moment.

"Listen." Armin said, taking charge of the situation. "Reiner, Mem, Akane, Kana, and Ai, you stay with Ruby and Aqua at the hospital." He pointed to them. "Zeke and Eren, we'll find the kids. I am at full energy and Zeke can still transform. We'll search the city for them."

"To hell with Reiner!" Eren yelled.

"Darin-" Ai tried to say.

"Eren, I understand you're worried-" Reiner tried to begin.