8~ Why Her?

8~ Why Her?

It was nice strolling along to the cafeteria linked to one another. Turns out, Maisie is good company to keep. She was sweet, funny, and not one to conform to other's opinions just because they say so. I'd say she was rather refreshing to have around. Her exuberant outlook on life was something to gawk at. Maybe hanging around her would instill some of her confidence in me.

What surprised me the most is that she didn't have any true friends nor did she care to have any. It sounded sad in retrospect but I can see where she was coming from. People look to her as a pariah. In those circumstances, it's hard to tell who's truly there to be your friend or just there to reap the benefits. It explains why, up until the assembly, I had never seen her around as much. Though I couldn't imagine going to a school like this and having no friends. I'd assume it's different when you're popular.

We rounded the corner, laughing with one another. She gave me the most tender smile before looking down at the tiled floor. "See, this wasn't so bad," she said with glee. "We should do this every day."

I giggled but couldn't commit. "Ehm, I don't think that'll work out," I say instantly thinking of Saida. "I have this friend in the art program and I have to make sure she eats or she'll stay in the studio with no regard for the time."

A chuckle escaped her lips as she looked at me strangely. "What are you her babysitter?" She laughs some more.

My eyes roll. "Nooo, we're just...best friends," I pause before smiling. "My first true friend."

Maisie changed her tune. "Awe. Will I get to meet this best friend of yours? Is she pretty?"

All her questions were driving mad but I couldn't be upset at her. Answering her question was hard because it would be great if they met, but judging from last weekend, Saida wouldn't rejoice to know we're kind of friends now. She specifically told me Maisie wasn't the friend I should be looking for. While her warning was nice, I didn't see anything wrong with Maisie. She's been nice to me and from the looks of it, I'm the only person she's connected with out of free will. Saida's fear of our friendship dwindling because of one person is ridiculous. Only because it'll never happen.

Unfortunately, before I could answer her question, my friends stood gathering around the double doors. Including Issac whom my eyes glared in envy as I watched Saida engulfed in his arms. It's something I'm used to by now but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm watching a girl who should be mine in the arms of a guy who took her for granted. My heart contracted in my chest from the painful reminder that Saida may not ever be mine and it sucked. Lucky bastard.

As we got closer to them, the first one to spot me was Kailey and though she was excited to see me, her eyes looked straight at Maisie. She's heard the story of how we got to talking. I'm assuming she didn't believe it because nothing good could ever happen to anyone if it didn't happen to her first. Yeah, Kailey was quite self-absorbed but a good friend when you truly needed her to be.

Her reaction got everyone to turn around and look at us, including Saida who went paler than she already was from the sight. Immediately, her arms dropped from around Issac who also looked shocked to see me with someone like Maisie. She tried not to show any emotion on her face but I knew her better than that. If looks could kill, Maisie would be decapitated. Of course, Saida wouldn't be rude. She was nice but silent nice.

Kailey was the first to greet us, welcoming Maisie with open arms. "Summer!! My very best friend, you're truly hanging out with the Maisie Moore," she gushed.