11~ First Kiss

11~ First Kiss

Later on that day, Maisie and I are walking to lunch once more. Looks like she is getting her wish—she wanted this to become a regular occurrence. It has been both intimidating and exhilarating to get close to her. How much my relationship with Saida would be impacted, I am not sure. It was difficult to overlook her dislike of Maisie. I am still, nevertheless, a human being with the ability to make my own decisions. Maisie has treated me very well thus far. I doubt she would suddenly change her ways.

We link our arms once more, our calves hurting so badly. I was regretting my choice to advance today because Pointe was no joke. It was frustrating how much strength you already had to have in your legs. I will not even begin to discuss the blisters on my toes. Only Maisie understood the excruciating pain in my lower body.

Nevertheless, we persevered in the hopes of finding a satisfying meal. Maisie's thoughts were elsewhere, while mine was focused on food. The girl read people like open books, and she was too conscious of her own reading abilities. Her acute ability to detect others' emotions unsettled me. She also never shied away from sharing her observations with others.

"So Saida doesn't like us being friends I reckon." Her remarks surprised me.

I had no idea how to react to that. Though she was not fond of our friendship, Saida would not act impolitely toward Maisie. She was lovely, offering herself as a friend to anyone who desired to be one. Sometimes Saida was possessive, but that was only because she was concerned. Maisie threatened our friendship, which was the closest thing we had.

I did not want to tell her Saida did not like her, so I forced a nervous smile onto my face. I also did not want to mention that our growing friendship threatened her. That will just make Maisie ask more questions, for which I have no answers. I would not mind sharing my insights with her normally, but Saida could be difficult to read at times.

In addition, there were the events from the previous evening. The thought of how close we were to creating something magical still sent my mind into a spiral. My chest wells up with deep emotion whenever I get to hold her in my arms. My fear of approaching her would decrease if she was not with Isaac. It was best that I proceed cautiously in light of his threat.

As I turned the corner, I let out a sigh. "Not exactly, but it's not because of you," I reassured her.

As though my words were nonsensical, Maisie laughed. "Please, that girl had a deathly look in her eyes," she remembers. "Maybe she's afraid I'll get to you before she could." She teased.

My head gives a furry shake. "She doesn't even know my true identity," I argue. "There is just a lot of weight attached to our friendship."

Because we were each other's first true friends, our friendship did have a lot of significance. Saida was oblivious to the depth of my feelings for her. She was not approaching this the same way she would if she had known. I was convincing myself of that, at least. Despite my best efforts, even I was unable to explain her recent actions in the art studio and at my house. It is possible that Saida is trying to say something different and I am reading this all wrong.

In any case, I would never have the guts to ask her directly. More painful than knowing what was wrong with her was the fear of her laughing in my face. Being in Sunbury makes me feel insignificant already. My heart would shatter if Saida thought what I said was a joke.