Early Years

Early Years

VERMONT MABRY Z. VILLAVICENCIO

“Mommy, si Matti inaaway ako!” sigaw ni Majesty.

I saw how Matti’s eyes dilated while he’s doing his assignment quietly. Nabo-boring na naman ‘yan si Majesty kaya ginugulo si Matti.

We are triplets. I’m the first, Matti is the second one, and Majesty is the last and only girl. That’s why she’s spoiled most of the time.

“Majesty, stop being playful. You’re putting Matti in danger,” I scolded her in a low voice.

I can see how she pouted her lips and did her assignment. We’re currently in 2nd year college. And we’re all taking a BSHRM major in Culinary. Our mom is a chef while our father is a professor.

“Mom—”

“Ano na namang nangyayari rito?” kalmadong tanong ni mommy nang lumabas siya mula sa kusina.

Majesty chuckled. “Nothing, mommy. We’re just playing around...” She stood up. “Where’s daddy, mom?”

Inilapag ni mommy ang dala-dala niyang tray sa mesa. “Pababa na iyon dahil may pasok pa siya.”

Biglang nag-angat ng tingin si Matti. “Mom, is it true na magtuturo ulit si daddy sa La Union? Are we gonna come with him?”

Mom went beside me and caressed my hair while I’m reading a book. “No. Siya lang. Isang sem lang naman ulit at isa pa, you’re all have classes.”

“But mom, how can he spend his time with us?” reklamo kaagad ni Majesty.

Knowing that Majesty really loves daddy. She’s spoiled with dad and always babying her.

“He will come home every weekend.”

“Babies...” Pare-parehas kaming napatingin sa hagdanan. It was dad who’s wearing his professor uniform and his eyeglasses while holding books in his arms. “I’m off to work.”

We all stood up and went to him. He hugged us. Tumagal lang siya kay mommy at humalik pa sa labi nito. I saw how his face turned into a crimson one. Until now, I could see that my father always loved our mom and he still feels the butterfly.

Napapatanong nga ako minsan if hindi ba nagsasawa si daddy kay mommy? or si mommy kay daddy. They’ve been married for 19 years.

“Sige na at pumasok ka na. I love you, 4V’s,” our mom said.

Nauna na sa pakikipag-asaran sina Majesty at Matti while I am just looking at them. Among the triplets, I’m the quiet one. I don’t know the reason behind this one but I think I got my dad’s personality.

“I love you more.” He went to the door. “Bye, babies.”

I grew up in a family full of love and contentment. I can say that we have a good family because we have a chance to express ourselves. Nowadays, it's rare to find a family wherein everyone’s feelings are validated. I’m thankful that my parents are rich with a mindset that we need to open up if we feel heavy.

While on term vacation, I was with dad because I wanted to see him as a professor. I looked at him as a lovable person and now, while I’m looking at him as a professor, he's strict but at the same time, he was funny.

“Sir, wala pong partner si Khione!” I heard one of his students shouted. They’re in senior highschool.

Lumapit kaagad si daddy sa kanila at tinanong kung sino iyon. I saw a girl who’s looking at the floor, looking nervous and biting his lips. When she looked up, I saw how she wanted to cry. I saw her eyes forming a tears wanted to escape.