11. Damn Cook

Flashback

There was panic going around the Heart Pirates' ship. All the crewmates stood outside Rosie's door, unsure what was wrong with her. She was perfectly fine until three days ago. Bepo was currently inside her room, watching over her as he waited for Law to come. No one understood Rosie's sickness: face warm to the touch, sweat dripping down, her hand never left her chest as she groaned in pain.

"Don't worry, Rosario, Law's should be back by now," Bepo reassured her. But he didn't even know when Law was supposed to return. He said he would be back three days ago, but he hasn't. Bepo nearly jumped back when Rosie started to groan in pain again. Bepo looked around in panic while trying to think of something that might cheer her up and help her ignore her pain. He quickly grabbed her hand and placed it on his fur. "Would petting me help? You love how soft my fur is, remember?"

"It hurts, Bepo," Rosie panted as she shut her eyes tight.

Penguin walked into her room with a tray of soup. "I brought you your favorite soup, Rosario," he said. Rosie shook her head not wanting to eat anything. Penguin looked at Bepo in worry. "We have to feed her somehow. Law's not going to be happy if -" At the mere mention of Law's name, Rosario screamed in agony.

Flashback Over

Luffy was watching his grandfather, Garp, and Koby through the telescope as the Marines continued to shoot cannons at the Going Merry.

"Did you just call that guy Grandpa?" Zoro questioned his captain. Another cannon fired, missing the ship by a few feet.

Luffy remembers all the times Garp tried to force him to join the Marines. Except, Luffy didn't want that. He wanted to be a pirate and Garp wasn't too fond of the idea. Every time Luffy would make his own mini pirate ship, Garp would just destroy it. He was always tough on Luffy. Pushing him and pushing him, just hoping he would give up on this pirate nonsense.

"Hit the deck!" Usopp shouted as another cannon came at them.

Rosie grabbed Nami and yanked her away before either one of them could be struck. The duo landed on the floor as the cannon flew by them.

"Everybody ok?" Luffy asked as they all stood.

"I think so," Nami answered.

"No. Not ok. Not even close to ok," Usopp panted.

Luffy looked around for some cannon balls before running up to their cannon. "Usopp, fire back at them!" he ordered.

"Or how about we sail away as fast as we can?"

"Run from the Marines?! No. Never!"

"Do any of you know how to fire a cannon?" Rosie wondered a small gut feeling already of what their answer was going to be. Their silence was proof enough. "Figures." She ran toward the cannon. "Let me do it."

"Great!" Luffy shouted. "Nami, trim the...the sail thing. Let's sink their ship."

"We don't have time. They're stealing our wind," Nami informed them. "If they pull up alongside us, we're finished."

Rosie turned her head slightly to look at her. "You think he knows that?" she questioned. "Or would listen if he does?"

"Nami's the navigator," Luffy reminded them. "Do something."

Rosie sighed before looking at Zoro since she's the one with the most experience. "Zoro, sheet in and hard to port!" She noticed Usopp trying to load the cannon. "You know how to load that thing?"