5

Surabhi's POV

Even before I could control myself, tears rolled down my cheeks and my whole form started to shake as I looked at my naked self in the mirror in front of me. My whole skin was covered in bruises ranging from bright red to almost black. Even though some looked almost healed, there were some insect bites and rashes on it making me cover my mouth with my palm and sob. The bones near my chest and lower abdomen were visibly out on display and anyone could take one look at me and say that I was an unhealthy person. I slowly wiped my tears and stood on my legs which felt very weak.

I wondered if it would have been better if I had not looked at myself at all. I turned away from the mirror and swore to never look at it ever again. I picked up the lehenga placed on the bed for me and wore it. It was a blue skirt with red blouse and it felt very soft on my fresh skin. I wore it and sat on the bed. I laid down slowly and let myself rest on a soft surface after a long time. 

My mind raced back to Guruji's words. My brother had done my final rituals assuming that I was dead. I was disappointed that he had given up but somewhere deep down I wanted that information to be false. I wiped away the tears that rolled on my temples as I thought about the day I was kidnapped. I was helping Roop find the midwife and the doctors and after I had made sure that there were safe, I was about to enter the shelter when I felt a hit on my head from behind and the next thing I know was that I woke up in the dungeons of Rishabhapriya.

I wondered how my parents had lived with my loss, how Padmini was doing, how Bhabhi and Bhaiyya were doing. I hoped Dheeransh Bhaiyya had told his family about his love towards Roop and were happily married by then. I hoped Haripriya Di's son or daughter was healthy and safe. My soul was begging to see them just once again in my life before I breathed my last breath. I wasn't afraid of death anymore. I was anyways dead in my family's eyes. What the other people thought did not matter to me.

I heard a knock on the door of the chamber I was in and I sat up immediately. "Come in", I said and looked at the door as I saw the conqueror walk in while scanning the chamber. When his eyes landed on me, his knitted eyebrows relaxed and he walked towards me. I did not even bother to stand up while he pulled a chair and sat right in front of me. 

"Listen. I don't usually talk to other women like the way I did back there. A lot was happening and I did not want anyone in my way. I apologize for my behavior in the dungeons and in the palace. But I am here to say that there is no pressure on you to accept Guruji's words and become my guard. I am well trained in defense skills and I can take good care of myself. So feel free to reject his offer and leave as soon as possible. This kingdom will take a lot of time to improve. There are many more kingdoms which are more stable than ours. Go restart your life there", he said and looked at me expecting a reply.

I sighed and asked," Are you saying all this because you refuse to be guarded by a woman?". He looked stunned for a moment but then said," Even the Vedas say that women are the strongest. I myself have lived with three women all my life to know that it is absolutely true. I just don't want you to be compelled to do anything. I can not say no to Guruji but you can. Use this choice well", he stood up and walked a few steps away from me.

"What if I want to stay here? What if I think Guruji is right?", his steps halted and he said," Then I respect your decision and will live with it. But just know that it will not be easy. A whole kingdom is against me. Who will you possibly save me from?", he walked out of the chamber and I stared at the door for a few more seconds. I looked down at my wrists and rubbed on the bruised skin. I thought about Guruji's words and finally decided to accept his offer. He was right. The society would never accept me after vanishing for four years. My family would have to answer them and I did not want to put them in a situation where they should bow their heads down in shame even though nothing bad had happened with me. Living like a corpse in front of my brother and harming his peace is worse than living here. I would rather take all the pain and keep my family happy. And that is what I decided to do.