21

Surabhi's POV

The chariot stopped in front of a house which looked pretty old but big and elegant and I got down. One could easily say that it was very spacious and well lit in the inside. They were many green plants and a very well decorated Tulasi Mandapam in the entrance of the house. We could hear the sound of many people chanting some mantras loudly making the hair on my arms rise.  The people were not informed about their king's arrival and, thankfully, many were not around making it easier for the guards. I walked to the king's chariot and he too got down by the time I reached him. He visibly looked nervous as he scanned the place he once called home. I cleared my throat and he snapped his head at me making me chuckle. 

"I know you are nervous but the people are watching their King. Don't disappoint them. Stay strong", he gulped and nodded before walking in front of us and lead the royal guards and me behind him. He stopped in front of the closed doors and we heard him sigh loudly. "Someone go inform-", he raised his hands and cut me off. He inhaled loudly and walked forward to knock on the door. It was quiet for a few moments until the doors were opened by his mother who went from being happy to surprised and then started to cry loudly as she ran towards her son and hugged him. I saw Maharaj stiffen and put his head down as if he was trying to control himself. 

"Bhargavaaa!! You came, my son. What took you so long to forgive us and come back to me!!", the lady cried as he kept caressing her hair. His back was turned to us so I couldn't read how he was feeling. She pulled away and held him by his shoulders and said, "Come inside, my son. Your father-", she was cut off mid sentence when her husband appeared from behind the door and stood looking at his son in astonishment. "B-bhargav", he muttered. Maharaj moved away from his mother and walked to his father and touched his feet but the old man stood still without showing any emotions. 

"I was just asking him to come inside", his mother said looking at her husband but she sounded uncertain. Everyone looked at the old man who looked as if he was deciding if he should let his son in or not. "Maharaj Bhargav, please come inside", he said and walked away with his wife running behind him to stop him. Maharaj turned around and for the first time, I saw his red eyes filled with tears as he looked me with hopelessness. "He won't accept me even if the whole kingdom does, Surabhi. This was a bad idea", he said as his voice broke a little as if he was losing his strength. 

I was about to say something to calm him down but I saw Janaki behind him and smiled at her and gestured him to look at her. But my smile dropped when I saw another girl behind Janaki and she ran towards Maharaj and hugged him making him stumble back a little bit. "Bhargav, I missed you so much. You did not even bother to write to me about everything that had happened. Did you even miss me?", she rambled as looked at her not knowing how to feel. 

The way she was holding him made me uncomfortable all of a sudden and I looked away and stepped away from them. He observed this and looked at me before gently pushing her away. She was taller than me but still no match for Maharaj. She was fair and slightly curvy and her saree made her look feminine and beautiful. Her hip long hair was adorned with tied jasmine flowers on it and she spoke to Maharaj sweetly while pouting and complaining about something. Her hands were still on his biceps making me bite my lips in distaste. Who touch unmarried men like that?, I thought. His gaze fell on me and said," They are asking us to go inside", I nodded. "Is that your maid, Bhargav?", she asked making his eyes widen and look at me shocked. I had no idea what to say. "S-she is not-", she cut him off.

"You can take the others back to the palace. He will stay with us until the puja is over", she said and dragged him towards the door. He kept looking at me as he walked away with her and Janaki and disappeared behind the door. Suddenly, my throat felt soar and tight as if I was losing something. Or rather someone. I put my head down and closed my eyes tightly to control myself. "Bhargav!! Where are you going?", I quickly opened my eyes and looked up to see him running towards me while that girl ran behind him calling his name. He was breathing audibly when he reached me. "Come inside, Surabhi. I will need you there", even though he had come back for me, I felt the sudden urge to get as far away as possible from him for an unknown reason and I did the same. I took a step away from him and bowed," A few guards will stay with you, your Majesty. Someone needs to be in the palace", he was about to argue but I did not let him speak, "This is your battle, Maharaj. I won't be around forever to help you out all the time", he looked behind me making sure no one could hear us and said," Don't make this tougher than it already is", I shook my head," It is not tough at all. It is your family. It should not be tough. I need your permission to leave, sir".