Twelve: "𝘿𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙠 𝙖𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩."

"Our wounds are often the openings into the best and most beautiful part of us."
David Richo

———

D A L A R I C

I watch as she talks to Kipp, my parrot. I don't think she knows that he doesn't understand her. She's sitting on the couch as I make her a sandwich, keeping an eye on her to make sure she doesn't hurt herself or Kipp.

She's getting thinner and I don't miss the way she feeds me all her fries.

Idiot.

A thud sounds from the couch and I notice her body drawn out on the floor. She gets up and looks around to make sure no one noticed before rearranging the pillows and sniffing them. She gets back to talking to Kipp when I get a call. I hand the plate to her and she kisses my hand as a thank you before trying to feed some to Kipp and gasping when he doesn't take a bite.

Crazy girl.

The phone continues ringing as I walk into my room until I pick up, not excited about leaving her alone with an aggressive parrot.

"Speak." Jan, my head of security, on the other line shuffles around before answering. I'm fucking annoyed already.

"Boss, I've sent you the location for the mission. 2 AM sharp. Rafael's organizing the goods and everything's ready to go." He sounds nervous as he talks.

"Good job." I can practically hear him smile and I sigh before I cut the call. I know damn well I wouldn't have said that if it wasn't for her annoying influence.

Making my way to my closet, I put in the code before it clicks open, displaying my rifles, bulletproof vests and ammunition.

I pick out whatever I need before I hear laughs sounding from the kitchen.

Is she talking to herself again?

I change into some grey sweats before walking towards the noise.

I stop when I hear a voice that's much deeper than hers."You picked truth! You can't change the rules, Sugarplum." Rafael scolds. I make a mental note to punch him for calling her that. It annoys me.

"W-why? I gave you my food." I can practically imagine her pouting as Rafael just laughs.

Why the fuck did I give him a key and why the fuck did she give him her sandwich?

"Answer the question or you're a loser."

She's going to answer the question.

"Okay. Yes, we have been-uh physically intimate with ea-"

"What the fuck is going on here?" I make sure my glare is only pointed at the laughing son of a- God, I need to fire him.

"Nothing, boss, just came here to hand over the laptop. The team's been trying to break this firewall for nine months now. I've saved everything we could accomplish on the hard drive. Have a look." He nods to the laptop on the coffee table that Mayella is trying really hard to reach. I take it away before she topples over. She only grins and gives me a peace sign.

Strange.

"Okayy..then." He drawls out." I'm out! See you later, ricky." Mayella lunges forward at Rafael for, probably, a hug and I use one hand to grab her waist. She clenches her fingers towards Rafael and I glare at him, ordering him to leave.