Seventeen: "𝙂𝙤 𝙤𝙣 𝙖 𝙙𝙖𝙩-"

"You must have a level of discontent to feel the urge to want to grow."
Idowu Koyenikan

———————————

D A L A R I C

The door opens without the required knock and I sigh knowing exactly who it is, closing the file that I was using to profile our next target.

"Boss-"

"Fuck off."

"Oh. I'm telling Maya you said that." Rafael wipes his fake tears, walking into the office like he owns the place before sitting on my couch.

"I fucking dare you." He rolls his eyes before snickering like an idiot. She better not find out. Not that I'm scared of a 5'5 girl.

"It's because she's hanging out with her friends, isn't it? You couldn't keep little Maya to yourself, huh Ricky?" He laughs harder when I throw a stapler at him.

Idiot.

Idiot who's right.

She's at the café with her new friends, grabbing a drink before they head to the mall. The selfish part of me wants to keep her soft body and even softer heart to myself but I know how much she's been waiting for this.

I'm happy for her.

I'm just not happy that she's not in my arms right now. Especially since I have therapy in an hour.

"When's she getting back?" I narrow my eyes at his question but answer anyways.

"In seven hours." Seven hours of absolute fucking torture and risk of me completely losing it.

"You are so damn whipped, Ricky." He throws Mayella's penguin in the air before kicking it towards me. I throw another stapler at him, hitting him on the head this time, before setting Mr. Jones safely on my table and rearranging his yellow feet, making sure they don't touch my gun.

"Can't believe you're petting a stuffed penguin. Anyways," Rafael sits up on the couch, filing his nails. I pay him too much. "You thinking of hiring the smartie? She cracked our latest case, you know. And she'd probably work for free too."

She definitely would.

"You of all people would know that I'd never fucking do something that stupid." I scoff, refusing to even think of saying yes to that notion.

"Well, why not? She'll be an asset, isn't that more important?" He frowns, actually thinking that he can change my mind.

"She doesn't belong in a place like this and I'd shoot myself before I let anything happen to her. She's soft and too nice, something you can't be in this place." She can be soft in my arms though. Her cheesy shit has worn off on me.

"But you're nice too." I send him a glare, not wanting to talk about her when I already miss her. "Fair enough, I guess. Can you hire her anyways? She gets me candy and I want her here all the time."

"I'm not putting her at risk so she can buy you fucking skittles, Rafael. I don't know how she does either." I mumble the last part to myself. She barely has enough to feed herself and she hates taking money. That's why I usually get the Wendy's before I meet her.