Chapter 3

After an evening filled with laughter and camaraderie at his coaching center, Shubman returned to his neighborhood, his heart still buoyant from the affection and support he'd received. But as he approached his home, he was met with an unexpected silence—the house was locked, and a sense of solitude crept over him. He reached for his phone, dialing Keart, Lakwinder, and Shahneel in turn, but each call echoed unanswered into the night.

With a growing unease, Shubman wandered over to Anvi's residence, hoping for some insight. The door swung open to reveal Maanya, her youthful face brightening at the sight of him. "Yes, Shub bhaiyya?" she inquired with the innocence of the young.

"Um... Maanya, did ma give our house keys to you?" Shubman asked, trying to mask his concern with a casual tone. Maanya's response was a promise of assistance, "Wait a minute, I will ask ma."

Her voice carried through the house, a blend of languages bridging families and cultures. "Aayi, Keart Aunty give their house keys to you? Shubman bhaiyya is asking." (Note: Aayi in Marathi means mother)

Sanaya's voice emerged from the depths of the kitchen, a beacon of hope, "It's on the table, Maanu." 

With the keys in hand, Sanaya emerged, her maternal presence a comfort to Shubman. "Your parents were in a hurry; they won't be home tonight. Why don't you join us for dinner?" she offered, her words wrapping around him like a warm embrace.

Grateful, Shubman agreed, "Okay aunty. I'll freshen up and come." With a nod from Sanaya, he retreated to his own space, the familiar walls a silent witness to the tumult of emotions within him.

As he prepared to join Anvi's family, his phone buzzed—a lifeline in the form of Shahneel's voice. "Di, where are you?" Shubman asked, a tinge of worry threading his words.

The news that followed was a jolt, "Chachaji had a sudden heart attack so we are in the hospital. We will come home tomorrow because Chachi is alone."

Shubman's heart clenched with concern, but he managed a smile for Anvi as she opened the door. His questions poured out, seeking reassurance, "How is he now? Where is Ruhi? Did you inform her about it?"

Shahneel's words were a balm, yet they carried the weight of reality, "He is fine now. Ruhi is in Jammu. She will be here tomorrow."

The conversation shifted to logistics, Shubman's mind grappling with the sudden upheaval, "Why tomorrow's morning flight? Can't she take the evening flight?)"

Shahneel's response was tinged with uncertainty, "I don't know... Anyway, ma said you should go to Sanaya aunty's house for dinner."

With a heavy heart but a polite farewell, "Okay di. Take care. Bye.", Shubman ended the call and turned to Anvi, who looked on with concern.

The evening unfolded with the warmth of shared meals and the comfort of newfound friendships. Karthik's voice was a steady presence, "Hope he gets well soon. Now come for dinner, son." Sanaya's congratulations on his KKR selection were sincere, and Shubman felt a sense of belonging that had been absent just moments before.

As the night deepened, Shubman found himself on his balcony, the cool air a contrast to the warmth of the house he'd just left. Anvi appeared, her presence a silent question. They shared a moment of understanding, two souls seeking solace in the quiet of the night.

"Psychology requires a lot of studying, Mr. Gill," Anvi said, a hint of teasing in her voice.

Shubman's reply was self-deprecating, a smile in his voice, "I really don't know anything in that. I used to literally fail in biology."

Anvi's laughter echoed in the quiet night, a sound full of life and lightness. "So, tell me, which subject could you actually pass?" she teased, her eyes sparkling with mirth.