Chapter 16

After a long and weary journey, Shubman finally touched down on familiar ground. The moment he stepped through the threshold of his childhood home, a wave of exhaustion washed over him. With a heavy sigh, he let his tired body collapse onto the plush couch, the soft cushions enveloping him in a comforting embrace.

From the kitchen, Shahneel's voice rang out, tinged with mock alarm, "Careful there! That couch has been through enough without you breaking it!"

Shubman, too spent to muster a retort, simply nestled deeper into the sofa, resting his head against the headrest, seeking solace in its familiarity. Keart, ever the nurturing presence, approached with a glass of water, her eyes reflecting a mother's concern. He accepted the offering gratefully, the cool liquid cascading down his throat in one satisfying gulp. "Maa," he murmured, his voice barely above a whisper, "I think I'll retire to my room for a bit of rest."

Keart responded with a gentle nod, her understanding silent yet profound. As Shubman's gaze fell upon his suitcase, a soft groan escaped his lips. "Arre, I still need to unpack these," he muttered under his breath, the very thought draining what little energy he had left.

Keart, overhearing his plight, reassured him with a smile, "Baccha, let Shahneel take care of your suitcase. She'll arrange everything in your closet."

With a grateful nod, Shubman trudged towards his sanctuary, the room where countless memories lingered in every corner. He lay down on his bed, the familiar scent and softness lulling him into a deep slumber almost instantly.

Meanwhile, Shahneel, with a soft cluck of her tongue, hoisted Shubman's suitcase and made her way to his room. Peering inside, she found him sleeping soundly, a picture of peace as he lay on his stomach, the journey's fatigue etched into his relaxed features.

She approached the wardrobe, expecting a chaotic jumble within the suitcase, but to her surprise, it was anything but. The clothes destined for the laundry were neatly tucked inside a plastic cover, while the rest were folded with meticulous care.

With a tender touch, Shahneel arranged the clean clothes in the wardrobe, their fabric whispering stories of distant lands. The soiled garments were gathered and dispatched to the laundry, a routine that brought a semblance of normalcy to the day.

Time slipped by unnoticed, and before long, the clock struck 8:00 pm. Shahneel returned to Shubman's side, her hand gently shaking his shoulder. "Shub, it's time to wake up. Have some dinner and then you can return to your dreams," she coaxed softly.

Shubman stirred, his eyes fluttering open with reluctance. He rose, his movements languid, and made his way to the dining table where a warm meal awaited him. As he sat, Anvi appeared, her hands bearing gifts of Pav Bhaji from her mother. "Aunty, Aayi sent some over for you," she announced with a bright smile.

Keart accepted the gesture with a nod of thanks, and Shubman, his appetite piqued, inquired, "Have you eaten, Anvi?"

"Yes, I've had my fill. Now it's your turn. Eat well and rest," Anvi replied, her tone laced with the warmth of friendship. Shubman offered her a smile, "All the best for your exams."

"Thanks, yaar," Anvi responded, her gratitude genuine. With a final wave, she departed, leaving Shubman to his meal.

Once sated, Shubman retreated to the comfort of his bed, sleep claiming him once more.

In the quiet of the evening, Shahneel broached the subject of a much-needed getaway. "Maa, we should plan a trip somewhere," she suggested, a hint of wanderlust in her voice.

Keart pondered for a moment before proposing, "Kashmir?" The name alone evoked images of snow-capped mountains and serene lakes.

Shahneel's eyes lit up, "Yes, that would be perfect. I'll talk to Shub about it tomorrow."