Chapter 11

As they arrived at the bustling Mohali airport, Shubman Gill, clad in his mask, hood, and sunglasses, deftly maneuvered through the throng of people. He made his way to the car that Lakwinder had recently purchased. Anvi and Shahneel settled into the back seats, while Shubman took the front passenger seat. With a heavy sigh, he removed his mask, revealing a face etched with fatigue.

Lakwinder glanced over with a supportive smile and said, "Come on, let's head home." Shubman offered a tired nod in agreement, and they set off towards the familiar comfort of their house. Upon arrival, Shubman rang the doorbell, and as the door swung open, Keart enveloped him in a warm embrace, her voice filled with pride as she exclaimed, "Well played, my child."

Gratitude shimmered in Shubman's eyes as he replied softly, "Thanks, mumma." He then sank into the plush couch, the weight of exhaustion grounding him. Keart turned to Shahneel and instructed, "Fetch some water for Shub, dear."

With a playful smirk, Shahneel retorted, "Ah, the king has arrived, and thus my servitude begins." Her words, though teasing, carried an undertone of affection.

Shubman, despite his weariness, couldn't help but respond, "I heard that, di." Shahneel rolled her eyes in mock exasperation and disappeared into the kitchen. Meanwhile, Anvi stood up, addressing Keart, "Aunty, I should head home now. It's getting quite late."

Keart nodded understandingly, and just as Shahneel returned, sans water, to bid Anvi farewell, Shubman leaned back, resting his head against the sofa's headrest, and let the world fade away.

Shahneel, returning with a glass of water, found Shubman already lost in slumber. "What? How can he fall asleep in just a minute?" she exclaimed in disbelief.

Lakwinder, observing the scene, replied with a gentle chuckle, "Shahneel, he's exhausted. But now, how shall we move him to his room?"

Keart, ever the nurturing figure, suggested, "Let him be. He can sleep here tonight." With that, Shahneel draped a blanket over Shubman's sleeping form, and they all retreated to their rooms, leaving him to rest in the quiet living room.

The next morning, Anvi awoke refreshed and promptly called Shubman. His groggy voice greeted her, "Hello?"

"Maan, it's 8 o'clock, and you're still not up?" Anvi chided playfully.

"I was so tired," Shubman murmured, the remnants of sleep clinging to his words.

"Alright, freshen up and come over to my place," Anvi urged.

"Just half an hour more," Shubman bargained, his voice muffled by the couch cushion.

"Maan, please. You know you're heading to the hotel later this evening," Anvi reminded him.

"Fine, fine," Shubman conceded, ending the call with a yawn. He stretched, rising from the couch, and made his way to the shower, letting the warm water wash away the vestiges of sleep.

Emerging into the living room, Shubman caught sight of Shahneel sneaking out of the kitchen with a bowl of maggi. "Maggi? Should I tell mumma?" he teased, a playful glint in his eyes.

Shahneel's eyes widened in mock horror. "No, no, no, please, yaar," she pleaded, eliciting a chuckle from Shubman as he left to visit Anvi.

Upon reaching Anvi's door, it swung open to reveal Sanaya, who greeted him with a warm, "Come in, Shub." Inside, Karthik praised him, "What a game, Shubman."

Shubman's smile was genuine as he thanked Karthik and made his way upstairs. There, he found Anvi engrossed in her writing. She looked up, her eyes lighting up as she said, "Come in, Maan."