Chapter 9

The dawn broke with the persistent ring of Shubman's phone, a sound that seemed to echo the restlessness of his heart. As he groggily answered, Anvi's voice came through, a mix of concern and cheer, "Hey, how are you holding up?"

Shubman's response was tinged with the disappointment of self-reflection, "I'm grappling with my performance, but Gautam sir believes in me. He's given me the opening slot against MI the day after tomorrow."

Anvi's reply was swift and supportive, "That's fantastic news! But hey, have you spoken to Lakwinder Uncle? He was quite worried about you yesterday."

Shubman's voice was a low hum, "Hmm... I haven't yet."

"He's not upset, Maan. He's actually really proud of you. Proud that his son is making strides, no matter the pace," Anvi reassured him.

"I'll call him," Shubman promised, a sense of duty creeping into his tone.

"Good. And once you've talked to him, give me a ring. I want to hear all about it," Anvi insisted.

Shubman half-joked, half-sighed, "Yaar, I've got to pack too. I'll call you once I'm on the bus."

"Deal. But make sure you call Uncle first," Anvi pressed, before they ended the call.

Taking a deep breath, Shubman dialed Lakwinder. The familiar voice that answered brought a semblance of comfort, "Hello, papa?"

Lakwinder's voice was warm and filled with an unwavering pride, "How are you, beta?"

"I'm managing, papa," Shubman replied, trying to mask the uncertainty in his voice.

"Son, I watched the game. Despite the trolls and the pressure, you scored runs. That's what counts. And I have every faith that you'll shine in the next match," Lakwinder's words were a balm to Shubman's bruised spirit.

Shubman could only hum in response, the emotions too complex to voice. He hung up, his heart a little lighter, and began to pack.

Kamlesh burst into the room with news of his own, "Bro, I'm in for Sandeep bhai next game."

"Wah! That's great, man. I'm opening with Chris. Can't shake off these nerves, though," Shubman confessed.

"You're going to be brilliant, bhai. Just believe in yourself," Kamlesh encouraged.

With a nod, Shubman returned to his packing, the task at hand a welcome distraction. Soon, they were all aboard the bus. Shubman reached for his phone to call Anvi, but she didn't answer. A frown creased his brow as he scrolled through Instagram, his anger simmering just below the surface at the sight of Anvi's post and Kamlesh's thoughtless comment.

 A frown creased his brow as he scrolled through Instagram, his anger simmering just below the surface at the sight of Anvi's post and Kamlesh's thoughtless comment